1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another hurricane makes me regret not having an acoustic bass guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nephilymbass, Sep 12, 2018.

1. We always see the same complaints about acoustic bass guitars. And for good reason. I’ve played several over the years. They really aren’t loud enough to keep up with other musicians unless you have a monster size acoustic that’s even more uncomfortable to play. But now another hurricane is on it’s way here and we’ll likely lose power for days again. Makes me wish I had one to just sit on the couch with and noodle on. Granted most of the year I could care less but im thinking about time to give acoustic bass guitar another shot to have one as my “power outage/Hurricane” bass.

Garret Graves and Bassist Jay like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Have you thought about a generator for the same few hundred bucks? ;)

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I know what you mean. We lost power for 13 days with Sandy in 2011.

Though it doesn't look like Florence will effect us, I have my Vox headphone amp if we lose power and my Hofner Club and HCT 500/5 if I run out of batteries for the Vox.

Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Nephilymbass likes this.
  4. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Perfect chance to take up double bass I think.

5. Before the storm comes, listen to this guy Audio and run for your acoustic bass guitar.

HolmeBass likes this.
  6. I did, too much drama to get gasoline for a generator around here. Most gas stations in my area completely run out of fuel for hurricanes. Yesterday people were fighting Jerry springer style for gas, bread, and bottled water.

nbsipics, Herrick, jamro217 and 2 others like this.
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Just buy a little Vox Amplug. They’re like $40 bucks.

RaggaDruida, Ikkir, Burwabit and 7 others like this.
  8. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    An acoustic bass is great if you don’t expect it to be more than it is. Go for it. I know I enjoy mine.

Also, if you’ll be in the storm’s path, best of luck. Hopefully things go well

HolmeBass, Dee-man and Nephilymbass like this.
  9. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Get a double bass. And a paddle. You'll be set for both playing and escaping storm surge.

10. motoman

motoman

May 8, 2008
    Ontario canada
    How about an irig just hooks to your phone . I really like mine

Nephilymbass likes this.
  11. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I am no expert on storms, but I think I would want to keep my phone battery alive for as long as possible if I was in the aftermath of a storm and without power.

12. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    I love ABGs. They aren't designed to cut through unplugged.
    Let's be honest- there are almost no true unplugged gigs .With zero amps or FOH.
    MY Boulder Creek ABG is a professional tool and a true acoustic electric bass.

jd56hawk, justjake and Nephilymbass like this.
  13. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Nephilymbass likes this.
  14. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Get one of these. You'll thank me later ;)

IMG_4083.

nomaj, nbsipics, Herrick and 4 others like this.
  15. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    AZ
    I love my Michael Kelly ABG. It's great for a quiet jam, and absolutely perfect for couch practice. I've even taken it camping with excellent results.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    damonsmith and Nephilymbass like this.
  16. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    And it can double as a flotation device, if necessary.

Metaluna, azfatboy, L Anthony and 2 others like this.
  17. NoElephant

NoElephant

Dec 14, 2016
    Propane generator? You can purchase propane way before Jerry Springer comes on, it won't go bad. :)

Bodeanly, chuck1073 and CatchaCuda like this.
  18. redwingxix

redwingxix Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    I picked up a fender kingman for $250 on cl. It's great for sitting on the back deck but I'd never want to gig with it.

19. Keep a supply of gasoline at home. Even better, get a diesel generator. It'll go forever on very little fuel and the diesel is easier to store. Having a supply at home will mean you don't have to worry about shortages after a storm forecast.

20. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC
    Haha yes this is a good idea but If I had a generator I don't think I'd be using the gas to power a bass amp.

two fingers and dave64o like this.