1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another "i just tried the epifani ul410" thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr_Dave, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    That thing is nuts! :eek:

Keep in mind i haven't tried Bergs, Accugroove, EA or any other real boutique brands, just don't have them in aus.

I was getting fed up hearing about this cab because there were none to try. It sounded perfect for me. light for gigs in clubs upstairs, easy to load but so loud and clear. and deep... But i was going to give up and just get an swr goliath III (4ohm). plenty of those to try out here. the head im looking at is the wt550 eden.

But the epifani has way more avaliable bottom end without the speakers jumping everywhere and it is so tight. the horn is bright and clear but not harsh like the swr. i know everyone says this stuff but i'd just never heard it for real and i wasnt prepared for it! Unfortunately the cab was second hand and is 8ohm, the guy is selling it with an wt800 and i just can't afford both right now. and if i ever change head, (like thunderfunk or something) 8ohms wont suit as a single cab solution. But at least i know what cab i want now! slapping with a sadowsky uv70s metro! Insane!:)

Also made me realise that perhaps i need to be open minded and be willing to shell out more cash; different gear for different styles. i didn't dig the cab so much for the jaco thing or john paul jones with a rosewood/alder jazz, still good but not perfect, so for the funky blues orginals band i'm in i'll look for a smaller but more oldschool sounding cab i guess... interesting

so if anyone wants it, check out bass centre melbourne...

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 to your comments above. It's just a stunningly good cab with a unique voice that works GREAT for pop/funk playing with a J Bass or a more modern voiced instrument like an MTD with round wound strings.

I have the 4ohm version, and it sounds great with a moderately powered (500 watts or so) head.

57 pounds... that's a bonus!!!!

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    yea,

but it aint no UL610... :bag: :D

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I've never really heard much about these. Do they sound more like the 410UL (i.e., mid punchy) or more like multiple 310UL's (i.e., more scooped)?

I know other brands' (like SWR) 610's sound VERY different than their 410 counterpart... I wonder it that's the case with the Epi?

5. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    I checked out an Epi 610UL in a music store recently, and your thoughts above are correct. it sounded even more mid punchy than the 410UL. Comparing the 610UL to the 410UL is alot like comparing the 410UL to the 310UL.

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Interesting... that seems to be the case with various 6x10's... more mid oriented than their 410 counterparts. I guess it has something to do with the porting relative to the number of speakers or something... or maybe the manufacturers assume that those interested in a 6x10 thing are from the 'old school Ampeg' sort of deal, and therefore voice the cab to have more of a 'sealed cab' sonic profile.