Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another, I LOVE MY GEDDY LEE Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Manol, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Manol

Manol Too Sexy To Be Left Handed.

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well I walked into the Bass Center the other day expecting to leave my Fender P-Bass Special in to get a Badass II Installed. I walked out with this after falling in love with it and trading my old one in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its just so great. I love it. Ive always wanted a Jazz and here it is.

My one complaint.

1. Not enough bottom end, although a new set of strings should cure this.

If J's are your thing. Buy one of these please.

2. j's arent really my thing, and id still buy one of those in a heartbeat if i didnt have gas for many other things ahead of it

3. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I'd need a ramp if I were to buy one of those. I can't stand how the magnets are sticking up off the pickups. Other than that, and the action being too high, it's teh sehcks.

4. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    At least you got your bad ass bridge, although it's on a different bass

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I would love to buy a geddy lee but I can't justify the purchase I as I own a MIJ '75 reissue. Pretty much the same idea. If I ever find one for a good deal, I will probably pick it up.

6. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I know you'll love your new Geddy. I also found that it lacked a little bottom end, but it's nothing that a quick tweak of your EQ settings can't remedy. It just makes switching from the Geddy to a different bass during a set a little more challenging. The build quality of these Crafted in Japan basses is as good, or even better, than the MIA Fenders that I've played.

Personally, I really loved my Geddy when I first bought it. After a little more time with it I found that the very slim neck didn't really fit my hand. Couple that with the fact that I have to switch between fretted and fretless during our sets, and I found myself not playing it very much. I miss it dearly, but it's better off with someone else playing it rather than gathering dust here at my place.

7. Manol

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yes, the pole pieces irritate me, I might get pickup covers for it, the strings keep hitting them and making pop noises.

8. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Beautiful. Just when I think I've gotten over my gas for one I see this...:help:

10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I love my Geddy Lee. I too agree that it lacks bottom, and the easy fix for that is to EQ your amp a bit differently. Add a little low / mid EQ and it sounds great. I have not found changing strings to have any effect on this. I suppose that the amp EQ could get tricky when playing two basses during the same set, but I'm a one bass man so that won't be a problem for me.

By the way - I can't see your pics for some reason, but I'm assuming you got the black body / white pick guard one with the maple neck and black blocks and binding...:smug:

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I always look at Geddy lee Jazz basses and lust after them, but the reality to me is that they wouldn't do it for me, I'd be letting myself down if I didn't go a little further and get a Wal bass.

All you Jazz bass fans don't know how lucky you are!

12. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Bllack block inlays = sexy as hell.

The geddy lee is deifnintley one of the best playing basses i've ever played, I definitley want to pick one up soon.

13. Manol

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hmm, you should be able to see the pictures?
    Yeah I will try EQ'ing the bass a bit better =D.

Im not used to this Jazz Bass 2 volume knobs and a tone knob, its hard to find specific tones sometimes, but you find so many in between.

Has anyone used any DR Fatbeams or Low-Riders on this bass, how do they go?

14. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    St.Augustine?

15. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    nice bass (and lawn)!

:)

16. Manol

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Sorry?

17. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

Cool. My fave look for a jazz

here is a pic of mine. Not a Fender, but still a great bass

Rob

Attached Files:

18. Manol

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Man that is really sexy.

I might get one of those pickguards =D.

19. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I like the black on black HOT

Rob

20. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Been there, done that, IMHO, negative results. I love the BAII on Fender J's in particular.

BTW, I also have a Geddy. What's notable about that is, I also have some pretty high end gear (check my gear page in my sig if you wanna know) and the Geddy gets as much air time as any of the rest. Yeah, it's that much fun to play and growls that well!

On the bottom end comment, I only notice that when soloing the bridge pickup, but I find that largely the same on any passive J, so I'm used to dealing with it (just add a touch of bass on the amp).

I did put DiMarzio J's in it, but not because I didn't like the original p'ups... only 'cause I have a microscopic tolerance for stand SC hum.