1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another I need (MOAR POWA) advice threads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nbw, Mar 12, 2009.

1. nbw

nbw

Nov 10, 2003
    Arlington Texas
    Howdy.
    I will soon be playing for a band that will require me to get a rather sizable rig to even be heard. They play somewhat progressive death metal, Two guitarists will fullstacks(peavey5150 and mesaboogie triple rect IIRC), and a drummer whome I've played with in the past who plays the drums like he's muay thai fighter and now he's mic'ed and triggered so its volume++ from there. And I wont be using a PA for rehearsals.

My budget is south of $1500 so I'm looking at the GK1001rb-ii, avatar cabs and carvin b1500 and rbx10.4's.
    I'm leaning towards the b1500(currently 650 bucks on carvin.com), so only about 50 or more bills then what rmc sells the 1001rbii for, and the carvin does 1250watts(4ohms) vs 700(4ohms). but I haven't used either of these heads in person. Is there anything I should be aware of when deciding between these two heads? Especially regarding reliability/durability if there are any concerns between the two.
    Also leaning towards avatar cabs,(esp if I do get the GK).. their 410's while having a lot of praise here on TB also go for $100 less then the carvin's. Is there any note worthy difference between them?

Also, I'm not sure how much speaker I'll comfortably need for this rig. Are my assumptions correct in needing a little more then just a 410 cab? w/ the avatar I'm thinking about pairing it up with a 112 or 212, not sure if what I'd honestly need.

BTW to get out the way
    -My EQ settings are typically flat, slight mid boost and I play a grunty warwick corvette6.. granted it has bassline pickups and it is a fretless w/flatwounds..
    -Telling them to turn the volume down argument, while extremely valid and will come into play.. From past experience I know I sometimes Just dont care to deal with it. If you guys think guitars are bad, My drummer friend would make your brain go pop.(that said, he's an absolutely BLAST to play with so I put up with it).

Thanks.

2. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    Ask them why on earth a guitarist ever needs a full stack.

get the GK and 410 and a 15, seems to be the "metal" thing to do these days.
    I've never been a fan of carvin.

just don;t get markbass, you get made fun of at metal shows for not having a giant rig :D

3. nbw

nbw

Nov 10, 2003
    Arlington Texas
    If going with the avatar cabs I was thinking about getting the orange tolex. For this band, if avatar had a pink option I'd be tempted with that.. :p

BTW, I may also be getting things mixxed up in ohm choices.. If thinking about running more then one cab, I should go with two 8ohm cabs to get the most out of them, where as if I was going to go with 1 I'd go with a 4ohm????????? I always get this stuff confused.

4. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    yes, most amps operate at 4 or 8 ohms, when you add 2 8 ohm cabinets it drops the entire load to 4 ohm (perfect for the amp) If you want one cab get a 4 ohm so you get more power out of the amp. but you wont be able to add an extension later if say you want a 15, you'll have to buy two new 8 ohm cabinets.

personally I wouldn't go anything that isn't 8 ohm for scalability and would only go for a 4ohm if I'm getting a fridge like a 6x10 or 8x10.

correct me if I'm wrong fellas

5. If you must have a "rig of doom" and given your choices, go with the B1500 and two 4 ohm 4x10 cabs, Avatar or Carvin. That head is bombproof and will push serious juice running at 2 ohms (1900w) and those cabs can take it. I see ripped off faces in your future.

I'm a little jealous of your problem, but my back isn't.

6. this.

i currently run a carvin b1500 with an avatar 2x12 and a yorkville 4x10 (both cabs at 8 ohm). without going into the PA, i can blast over 2 half stacks and a loud drummer without pushing my volume much past 9 o clock.

7. Alcyon

Alcyon

Jan 15, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    :eek:

8. yeah, it kills.

9. nbw

nbw

Nov 10, 2003
    Arlington Texas

jeebus I almost forgot about taking advantage of its 2ohm setting..

How would either cab(that is rated for 1000watts) hold up on their own with the b1500 set to 4ohm(1250watts), given that the amp isn't cranked? You know for those times I just can't justify the extra power and/or don't want to pack around the second cab.

10. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    B1500

11. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    I'd stick with 4ohms rather than 2ohms with any amp these days.

A pair of quads would be cool, alternatively a pair of 2x12's.

Or ... consider trying to find an older Goliath Senior (6x10) ... that'd make me smile. You don't have to get brand new gear! One thing to consider, get some decent ear plugs and grow your hair so nobody can see you've got em in!

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I see hearing aids. :scowl:

13. Btw - skip the idea of a 1x12 cab (?!) - it would be worthless in that setup. (too small, and you'd be throwing too much power at it) A 2x12 cab might work on top of a 4x10 cab.

Carvin now has different tolex covers for their heads and cabinets too.

As for getting 4 ohm or 8 ohm cabs... I'd lean towards the 4 ohm cabs in this case - but only if you are comfortable running the head at 2 ohms. The added wattage from the amp would hopefully give you a little more headroom, and hopefully you won't need to run it wide open! (I can't imagine how loud that would be!)

14. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Either cab would be fine, assuming that you're not diming the volume an expecting good things to happen. The amp won't put out 1250 watts constantly (won't even get anywhere near it at low volumes), and you can hear when a cab begins to struggle.