Another Idea for Making a Double Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Mud Flaps, May 21, 2004.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    What if you made a semi-hollow bass with an acoustic pickup, round-wound strings, short-scale, and with a carpet (yes, carpet) fretboard? Would it sound like an upright? Or would it just be another one of my bad ideas?
  2. What if you made it full hollow with a long scale, then put an acoustic pickup inside, plugging the sound hole to reduce feedback.
  3. Bad Idea :scowl:

Strings need a well defined witness point at which to stop their vibration.

That must be some good weed... :eek:
  4. adolganov

Jan 15, 2004
    OK, and if you laminate the carpet layer under the fingerboard? ;)
  5. I think a stiff, firm carpet might be defined enough. The kind you find in a lot of public buildings. It may be that it gets that way from being walked on, so second hand carpet could be the way to go. Just walk in, hide behind a plant, cut out a rectangle, and hope it's not glued down.
  6. Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    I'd think a soft wood would be better than that--something like white pine or balsa. Just be ready to replace the fingerboard every month or so (which you'd probably be doing with carpet, too.)
    Maybe a hard rubber would be best. Those ashbory basses sound great with rubber strings...I think a hard rubber FB would sound very....dead. Maybe not. It would need frequent replacing, too. Or soft epoxy? If you mix epoxy with rubbing alcohol, it (in my experience) dries softer and slightly flexible
    end product. I used something like 30% epoxy to 70% isopropanol, because I slipped and added way more than I intended too.
  7. Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    Why not get pull the neck and bridge off a cello, and attach them to an acoustic guitar body?
  8. radius problems?
  9. You'd have to use an archtop body.