1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another "Identify This Bass" Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stingray69, May 29, 2007.

1. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
  2. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Looks like an Ibanez Soundgear. Maybe an SR506BM ... but not sure. The fingerboard inlays are all SOundgear, though.

3. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    :meh: Hmmm...and I used to own a Soundgear many years ago, my identification skills are slipping. Perhaps also its time I got out and played some Ibanez stuff again.

Thanks liam_g.

4. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Definitely Ibanez Soundgear...again, not sure of the exact model though.

5. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Been cruising youtube for soundclips - sound pretty good too. I guess its been so many years I've kinda half forgotten about Ibanez. I must make a point to try out an SR505 if I get the chance. I'm thinking of a new bass in about 1-2 months - Fender Jazz 24 and this Ibanez will be on the short list to try out.

6. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    It's definatly a Ibanez SR506

7. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Awesome - thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

8. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Follow up:

Got out on my lunch hour to try out a Fender 24 and an Ibanez SR505 - grabbed the SR504 first and couldn't put it down. It sounded amazing, maybe the Bartolini MK-1's and the 3-band Bartolini EQ had something to do with that - incredible feeling neck, very unfinished feeling, very Stingray-like. Been a looooooong time since I've owned any Bartolini equipped basses. Now I remember what I've been missing - incredible stuff. Anyway, I was so caught up in putting the 504 through the paces, I never got around to trying out the Fender - I think a new bass is calling my name. Help! :help: Seriously, if you're like me and had forgotten about Ibanez stuff or the Fieldy-association has planted a big misconception about what these basses really sound like, you might be WAY surprised - I was...wow. :eek: This thing had floor rumbling, super growly, tight low end & the richest, sweetest treble I can ever recall hearing. Can't say enough about how impressed I was & thanks to the fellow TB'ers who ID'ed the bass out of the video clip for me. I'm sure I'll be purchasing this bass in a few weeks - a review will be sure to follow.

Thanks again.

9. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I have an SR506, and I gotta say that you're right. They really have balls and midrange going on.

10. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    The SR505/506 is a dark horse. It's a great bass for the price. The string spacing is tight though.

11. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    You ain't kidding - it's got some incredible low-mid punch. Unbelievable how much the SoundGear line has changed since I last owned one (probably 1989 or so - showing my age :meh: ) They sure didn't sound like this as I recall it - then again, different pickups/electronics back then. Anyway, long story short - change of plans...I'm buying this bad boy in 2 days, not 2 months. :hyper:

12. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Can't believe I've overlooked this bass - I guess my experiences with the SoundGear stuff in the past (albeit a looooong time ago) left my thinking I'd "been there, done that" with the SoundGear line...boy was I shocked to hear what an improvement is going on these days. I can tell you this is NOT the tone I remember - every note is so defined & growly w/sweet treble. Major improvement to go with the Bartolini electronics package.

Yes, the string spacing seemed on the smaller side, but my Schecters also have what some consider a tight spacing, so I think it will be a non-issue for me. Speaking of which, I may have to consider some Bart MK-5's for my Schecter Elite now...;)

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021