1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another is this a real deal Fender Precision thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassstrangler, Aug 9, 2018.

1. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    I've been seeing this on CL for months, the price has probably dropped by 50%. The pictures keep changing as well as the description. The neck and pocket pictures are newly added. It would seem to me the seller can post 24 pictures with CL. I wish they would. No headstock pictures ever.

1973 FENDER PRECISION BASS ....3 NEW IMAGES ADDED

What do you fine folks think?

EDIT: I have no plan of buying this bass. I'm just curious if it's authentic or worth it.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Smooth_bass88 likes this.
  2. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    If you are local go over and take your own pics and share them on here. The pics on CL are horrible but besides the EMGs the knobs are clearly non original too.

3. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    No, I'm not going to do that. From the tone of the ad I don't think showing up and taking pictures is probably going g to happen anyways. I'll email them and ask for more pictures.

jebmd likes this.
  4. You could do better for $1200 anyway. Nothing looks glaringly wrong from those pics aside from the electronics/bridge swap

jamro217 likes this.
  5. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    Of course, I'm not wanting to buy it. I'm more curious if it's real as it's been lurking on CL for months. I think maybe there is something there that's screaming not real or not worth it.

6. General condition and lack of original parts are the not worth it reasons to me. I saw it on CL a little while ago too... I kept scrolling!

bassstrangler likes this.
  7. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    :roflmao: Then why stress about it? I'd figure that post seems sketchy enough to just ignore, especially if you have no interest in buying the thing

OnederTone, Trabeen, ruju and 2 others like this.
  8. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    I'm not stressed (nothing in my posts should have indicated stress), but my curiosity is piqued. What if it is a great deal? I'd just like to know more, and this is the right place to ask.

@creaturegods have you ever been curious about anything? I'm sure you have, I'm just trying to ask some of the experts that are here. The seller won't respond to an email, so why not ask the people who would know?

9. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Pickguard and screws, bridge, pickups, knobs and case all non-original. The finish may be blonde, may have been white, may have been re-finned, hard to tell. To me, its soul is stripped without the original pickups. And the status of the pots and cap is unknown... Not such a great deal at $1,200.

10. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston I'm the one on the right Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    I think it looks like a decent 1973 P-bass, with aftermarket pickups. Not a collector's bass, but priced a little high, Fender Precision Bass 1973 Natural Price Guide. Nothing that looks scammy or shady to me. It would be nice to see some more pictures, the headstock, pots, etc.

EDIT: if it's a refin, it's worth even less.

bassstrangler likes this.
  11. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured this was not worth it. I just noticed the pickguard screws were slotted. My assumption is the bass was in pretty poor condition and someone decided to revive it.

12. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
  13. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    Calm down!

14. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    :p

15. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    I talked to them folks a while back and told them they'd need photos of codes and stamps. It was pretty clear they really weren't sure what they had...I figure someone told them it was a 73 and they just took it at face value, looked up a few prices, and put up an ad.
    The guy wasn't sure how to take off the neck at that time, but apparently decided too...probably because everyone else was asking for those stamp pics, too.

16. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    A picture or three of the headstock wouldn't be bad either.

17. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Yup. That fast talking salesman wording makes me uncomfortable.

18. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    I don’t recall that color when I bought my bass in ‘73??

19. It may be Olympic White that's forty five years old. It does look like a '73 P that's been "upgraded" by a previous owner. An expensive exercise that decreased the value of the instrument. Those knobs have got to go. The bridge, debatable, if you're a player. The pickup, likewise. I'd hear it first. Through the complimentary amp, which no one's mentioned yet. That sweetens the pot a bit, may $100 - $150 if you're generous. The rosewood looked funky and wavy at the end of the neck. No telling what shape the neck is in. There are better deals out there, for sure. I'd pass.

EatS1stBassist likes this.