1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

another J-retro combination question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Caca de Kick, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    For my vintage Jazz my original idea was going to be a J-retro with some Seymour classic-stack Jazz pups. Lately, I've really been interested in what I've been hearing about the Lindy Fralin pups.
    I been afraid of the Seymours being to midrangey and wondering if the Fralins would have more of the deep low/bright top tone I'm looking for (I'm more like a Rob Trujillo type tone).
    Has anyone done a Fralin/J-ret combination in a Jazzbass?

2. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    You should go over to the dudepit and the J-retro forum... Lots of reports of different pickup combinations there, and someone should be able to answer you.. There's someone on this board that has a RI 75 jazz bass with fralins and retro, but I can't remember his name... sorry.

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I recently bought a Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn 5 with a factory installed J-Retro. I posted my comments earlier. Here's the thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69431

Based on my very limited experience with SD quarter pounder bass pick ups, I'd agree with you on the middy tone. actually, I recall them having a bump in the mid-bass frequencies.

4. Seymour Duncan Antiquities are not mid-range heavy, in fact they are similar to Fralins, bearing in mind that "Fralins" covers a lot of territory. Lindy Fralin winds pups how you want them.

5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I had been reading the Dude forum, and knew that I will install a J-Retro, but I think I decided on the hot stack from SD.