another J-retro combination question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Caca de Kick, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    For my vintage Jazz my original idea was going to be a J-retro with some Seymour classic-stack Jazz pups. Lately, I've really been interested in what I've been hearing about the Lindy Fralin pups.
    I been afraid of the Seymours being to midrangey and wondering if the Fralins would have more of the deep low/bright top tone I'm looking for (I'm more like a Rob Trujillo type tone).
    Has anyone done a Fralin/J-ret combination in a Jazzbass?
  2. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    You should go over to the dudepit and the J-retro forum... Lots of reports of different pickup combinations there, and someone should be able to answer you.. There's someone on this board that has a RI 75 jazz bass with fralins and retro, but I can't remember his name... sorry.
  3. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I recently bought a Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn 5 with a factory installed J-Retro. I posted my comments earlier. Here's the thread:

Based on my very limited experience with SD quarter pounder bass pick ups, I'd agree with you on the middy tone. actually, I recall them having a bump in the mid-bass frequencies.
  4. Seymour Duncan Antiquities are not mid-range heavy, in fact they are similar to Fralins, bearing in mind that "Fralins" covers a lot of territory. Lindy Fralin winds pups how you want them.
  5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I had been reading the Dude forum, and knew that I will install a J-Retro, but I think I decided on the hot stack from SD.