1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another jazz bass thread, vintage 1975 JB vs brand new 2011 American Standard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KingCrimson, May 15, 2011.

1. 1975 Jazz Bass

56 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. 2011 AS Jazz Bass

40 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Oct 6, 2008
    For 1500$

1975 American Jazz bass. 3 bolt neck joint, walnut finish, maple fretboard with block inlays, skunk stripe.

Its a part bass, but all the parts are original, except the pickups which are fender 75'RI pickups and the pick guard which is also 75 RI.

Super nice tone
    Resonates really well
    Nice neck

Heavy
    Neck pocket isn't very tight
    Does not come with hardshell case

VS

For 1425$ (AFTER TAX) a 2011 fender jazz bass with a hardshell case

What would you think is the better purchase?

The old one has mojo and has a really nice tone but is heavy and doesn't come with a case, the new one is a bit cheaper and comes with a case but i am thinking i can always sell the vintage one if i want to switch.

I need a bass that i WILL be satisfied for a long time with, i tend to keep my basses and i plan on this one to me my main player for now on.

2. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Play them both and decide is the easiest and most affective way. Personally, I would go for the 2011, but that's me and I don't see the hype in vintage instruments.

3. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    The American stuff these days is really good quality.

Questions only you can answer:

1) Do I prefer the bridge pickup in the traditional or 70's location?

2) Does the weight bother me? Are you planning on playing a few hours at a time? The weight would bother me.

3) Do I feel a connection with either instrument? You should be able to find an American made Jazz at any Guitar Center. For that kind of coin you may also want to consider the American Jazz Special, MIM Geddy Lee, MIM 70's Jazz, MIM 60's Jazz, Highway 1, or MIM Road Worns. A good Jazz bass is a friend for life. They hard part is finding that one that speaks to you. And they are all different even when they are the same make model and color.

4. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Oct 6, 2008
    I tried an american special and a geddy lee. If i get this bass it will be an american standard they just have more life to them IMO

5. Buy the one you like most!

Neck pocket tightness in mi opinion doesnt change much, no hardshell case isnt really a problem and if you can deal with the weight i dont see why not get the 75!

On the other hand if the 2011 plays better and sounds better it makes no sens not to get it!

6. MKoby

MKoby

Jul 14, 2004
    MD/Metro DC
    I'm a Pman but I have 1972 & 1998 basses.

They are both good, but not alike.
    You must play the instruments you are considering.
    Prices seem reasonable.

7. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Get the 1975 jazz bass.

8. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Buy the one you like playing the most. Which one gives you "that feeling"? Which one do you get lost trying out and lose track of time? Which one sounds better?

I have old Fenders but only because I've owned them a really long time. They're wonderful, but so are new Fenders.

Weight matters. Mojo comes with time. The rest is adjustable/fixable if you decide to try out different pickups, bridges, strings, etc. It's a nice choice that you have. Good luck!

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    70s Fenders are over-rated.

10. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Oct 6, 2008
    its after tax the price just new is 1250. Up here in QC we get TAXED

11. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    Ever consider a used American Vintage 75 Reissue? I hear they are really nice basses with the exception on the stock bridge. They seem to sell from $1,000 to $1,400. They sell for $1,800 new

12. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Oct 6, 2008
  13. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Definitely the original! No doubt about it! don't worry about the weight, your young!
    It looks awesome!!

14. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson

Jul 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    If that 75 plays decently it would be without question my choice

15. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    ive played more bad fenders from the 70's era than the good ones. Its totally up to you. Quality control back than is pretty much the same as current days. Theres always a bad apple amongst the batch.

16. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    hey i think the 3 bolt necks are sometimes an issue say between early 70's (4 bolt) and later 70's (3 bolt). Also make sure the truss rod works well if you can and check the date on the pots and if there is one in the neck. I have a 74 and a modern jazz(96). I think the new jazzes sound great but my ear can def hear a difference in my style of playing (finger) and prefer the 70's spacing and tone. Its subtle for most but for me , day in and day out,, it led me to the 70's jazz (74 4 bolt) vs today. Good luck!

17. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    New bass all the way. I've played a couple of 70's Fenders...why buy something old and beat-up that probably needs a fretjob, over something you can create your own mojo with.

Vintage basses are overrated.....and yes, I can afford one...but would rather not.

18. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    Why don't you buy a used 2008-2011 American std that has all the newer features? You can probably get one for about $850-950 USD

19. +1... Get the new jazz.

20. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Oct 6, 2008
    because i do not want to buy off ebay. And over here it is RARE to find a used american std that recent.