Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another jem on ebay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by silent method, Jul 19, 2005.

1. http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=7336611698&rd=1

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What the hell is this?! and dosnt $2,500.00 sound a lil steep??

2. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Personally I don't give a crap who has played a bass before it's fallen in to my hands.........it won't sound any better than one that wasn't played by a celebrity. I guess there's the celebrity factor and also that it could become collectable. Perhaps some of you could offer up other benefits.

3. That would be a $200 Guild Ashburry bass. Musicians Friend has them for $100 at their store in Kansas City when I was there a few years back.

4. growlysound

growlysound

Jul 7, 2005
    I played one of these recently, and it's definitely a strange animal. That being said, it approximates an upright tone unlike any other fretless I've played.

5. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    for $2500 you can buy a Jack Bruce Warwick from BassCentral. $2500 for an Ashbury :rolleyes:

6. CWK

CWK

Jun 9, 2005
    South Centeral Pa.
    I'm curious.Did you play a newer one or was it an original?
    I remember when they came out and hadn't a chance to fool around with it but is there a diffrence between the ownership?It looks like fun.
    Bill

7. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I'm having a hard time imagining Jack Bruce playing one of those. Jack should always play an EB3. Always.

8. I don't know how much a Guild Ashbory did cost when they were available new, but probably quite a bit more than $200. And the Ashborys you can buy at Musicians Friend nowadays are made by DeArmond, not Guild. The two may look alike, but there are, according to the marketers of the DeArmond line, some differences between them.
    Anyway, I agree that $2 500 seems to be a bit to high a price for an Ashbory. Regardless of who once owned it.

9. ok seeing as some of you guys seem to know about this bass (?) how do you hold it, and what the heck are the strings made of it looks like surgical tube or somthing

10. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Uh-huh.

11. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Looks like standard notation for "Sunshine of Your Love", not tab.

12. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    I sold mine for $150. You could probably get a full body massage from Jack Bruce AND Ginger Baker with happy ending for less than $2500.

The bass is great sounding for recording. I dumped it because you have to rub your strings and hands with talc before playing it. Obviously the designer has never done a gig in a sweaty club. Because once you sweat the talc turns to sludge and that's that. You have to switch to a real bass.

Don't buy it.

13. Oh, it's a bass alright, it's compatible with your choice of guitar strap, and the strings are made by silicone rubber.
    Read more about the different incarnations of Ashbory basses at this fan site.

14. Yes, but, they are not available new anymore. Therefore the current price of one would have to be a used price. So whatever Guild origionally charged for them doesn't really matter anymore. Not to mention the fact that this one isn't new either so the value of IT would be a used price. :rollno:

BTW... I could be totally wrong on this, but isn't DeArmond owned by Fender/Guild?

15. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago

:D :D

16. How right you are. It's just that your first post implied something else, namely that Guild Ashborys are still being made, and sold by Musicians Friend. Which they aren't. Just wanted to clear that up.

You are quite right again. DeArmond and Guild are Fender owned brands.

17. growlysound

growlysound

Jul 7, 2005
    It was a newer one. It *was* quite fun to play! The rubber strings are easy on the fingers, and the tone was really thick and warm.

That being said, I'd liken it to a moped; fun to ride around on, but wouldn't want to be seen with one in public :)

18. CWK

CWK

Jun 9, 2005
    South Centeral Pa.
    judging from most replies it appears to be a toyish thing.I think I'll fool around with one when I get a chance and decide for myself.I saw the strings and read about the compisition of them and thought it wopuld be neat to play them on a fretted or fretless bass in a way but I don't know if that'll happen.
    Cheers,
    Bill

19. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    Sound Design Coordinator, Camel Audio | Designer, Ugo Audio
    the bass pictured looks like it might be an orginal ashbory, which at least used to be collectors items. (ignoring the jack bruce connection to this one.) i dont know what the market is like for them any more though since the reissues came out. the reissues, as far as i know, are pretty much the same as the originals except that they keys are much better.

i used to own an reissue ashbory and it was a lot of fun. it sounds truly huge. i consider it the "professional" version of playing a rubber band. i only sold mine because i needed the cash at the time and i do intend to buy one again someday.

the only drag is that the strings are prone to breaking...even when the bass is just sitting in the case. it seems its best to play them detuned.

the construction is not thrilling but acceptable. intonation is inaccurate. it would appear that for all ashbory basses, the correct note is always behind the line...not on it. when you first put strings on it, they take forever to stretch...they go out of tune like crazy. but once they stettle in, they are fine. (unless one breaks.)

they really do provide a interesting, rubbery, cheep but deep and massive tone and its a fun playing experiance.

a good resource for them is: http://www.largesound.com

-ugo