1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another job bites the dust

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by russosborne, Jul 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Well, my lousy job luck continues. We just got told this afternoon that they are shutting down our shift. Sunday will be my last day if I manage to make it that long. Kind of hard to be motivated to get up at 4 am now. Need the money so I am going to try.
    They are going to move some people, but I'm not going to be one of them. Given the options, I don't want to be one of them. I've always felt like this was not going to last, and it turns out it didn't. Only not my fault this time.

Good thing that I had a bad feeling about this job lasting and didn't sign up/commit to spending money on any bass stuff. We are going back into survival mode.

Thanks,
    Russ

47th Street and Pbassmanca like this.
  2. Not much too add., you put it all out very well.
    Sadly, its all too common these days, business can be cold-blooded at times.

But you KNOW you will recover and find something else, changes happens sometimes for a good reason even if it doesn't seem so at the time.

Good luck; and hang in!:thumbsup:

Tbone76 and 47th Street like this.
  3. I wish you all the best. There myself right now.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Good thing you had a feeling this would happen and planned properly by carefully spending money.
    So many people out there don't have that kind of sense.

Do you have any leads lined up Russ?

-Mike

5. OldDog52

OldDog52 Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Give it 100% right up to the end. People do notice. Could be someone else being axed who has startup plans and is scouting for good people. It happened to me a couple times.

Tbone76, ptg, 47th Street and 3 others like this.
  6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Keep your ear to the ground there at work now, & see if you can figure out who/where is hiring.

7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sucks to hear. Good luck finding the next one!

8. That's tough. Here's hoping for better days going forward.

9. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Ouch. Hope another opportunity comes your way.

10. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Sorry to hear that.
    I hope things turn around for you soon.

11. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Best to you, my TalkBass brother. Hoping you can turn this around and make luck your leash-dog.

12. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Phillipsburg, NJ
    I actually wish it was me. I really need a nice long vacation.

catcauphonic and BboogieXVII like this.
  13. ArtGuy9516

ArtGuy9516

Apr 10, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    That's crummy. I hope you will find a new situation soon.

14. Thanks.

At almost 58 and in poor health, I'm finding that there really aren't a lot of jobs that I can do anymore. This job proved that in that I found out I can't do a lot with my hands anymore. Nothing that requires fiddly and fast at least. And it is getting harder just to get my foot in the door.

We need to do a real budget and see just where we are at financially. We might be able to make it without my working for a bit. Just sucks that we got caught up on bills and actually got used to my having a regular income again just to have it go bye bye.

Maybe I can start playing again, this job took all of my energy. Wishing I had a guitar and a Marshall stack right now, I really want to make some noise. Not the sort of noise a bass makes, either. :roflmao:

Sorry, feeling really depressed right now.

Russ

Pbassmanca likes this.
  15. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    You'll get unemployement insurance I hope? If you don't mind working really hard for about $12.00 an hour I know what you can do, it's in Scottsdale. If it were me, I'd apply to some really great jobs that I'd probably never get and just relax for a few weeks.

16. No unemployment insurance. Not there quite long enough.

I'm interested in the job opportunity. Send me a PM or just let me know here if you don't mind. The job that just ended was in Scottsdale for $12.

Thanks,
    Russ

17. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I feel for you and empathize. I was on the outside looking in for 8 years. I hope something better comes along for you soon.

18. 47th Street

47th Street Akk cent chew ate The Positive Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    It's a fact...sometimes shikky things happen to good people.
    Try to keep your Karma together...

I've heard the words "hand in your keys" (or something that rhymes with that) 3 times in my adult life.
    It's was very scary!
    All 3 times I landed in a better place.

If it was me, I'd go for a half stack and a blues harp!

GregC likes this.
  19. In the good old bad old days, before I had my present income situation (which is about 75% musician, 25% augmented by a job I love within the MI field) I worked MANY jobs, some good, some not so much, starting at age 14.
    You know, every job that let me go or ended-the following opportunity always came out better.
    I believe that's the way it works. My Sister worked for 20 Years at a Company, rose up to a great position, then it was sold to a large Corporation who had her terminate the staff up until her own head was chopped off. Great, nice!

It's a sad fact that Business has no feelings and in most cases no parachute for the Working Man (or Woman).
    The bottom line is the thing, and that's all that matters with very few exceptions.

Even the Music Biz is BRUTAL, and rife with lots of ...Bad Stuff.

I believe you will find something, and hopefully if not the perfect fit, it will do for you.

Again- Good luck and:

forward.

That's a Chinese symbol I have on several of my straps, even inlayed on one bass's fretboard.
    I may even get around to tattooing it on myself some day!
    It means:

FORWARD

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    47th Street likes this.