1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another killer deal!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OxJohnson, Feb 23, 2008.

1. I just picked up a brand new Ibanez ATK300 for $300! :hyper:

I got it at a local Mom and Pop shop where I was stopping by to pick up some strap locks for my SRX500. The owner was helping some other folks out, so I wandered to the back where they keep the basses and noticed that he started carrying Ibanez. Nothing of interest except the ATK that had no price tag.

Me: How much for the ATK?
    Owner: I dunno, how much?
    Me: I am asking you, there is no price tag.
    Owner: Oh, ummm $200 or $299...
    Me: Are you sure?!
    Owner: Why, is that too cheap?
    Me: Uhhh, no, that would be great!

After he rings up the strap locks...

Owner: So will you buy it for $299?

At this point his assistant has just looked up the price on the computer and is printing out a tag to put on it.

Owner's Helper: Are you really going to sell the bass for $299?
    Owner: I guess so, that is what I originally said. How much do we normally charge for it?
    Owner's Helper: $499. We bought it from Ibanez for more than $299...
    Me: So I can have it for $299 then?
    Owner: If you give $300 now you can have it, otherwise it goes back up on the wall for $499.
    Me: Sold.

I have dealt with the guys at this shop before and they are the most laid back I have ever met. They also sold me the hard shell case that sells online for $149 for $90.

As if that was not enough... when I got home, I noticed that when the A string was played at the 7-9th fret, the string was buzzing up by the nut (never had this happen before). So I went back down there 15 minutes before they closed and the owner set up the bass... free of charge! Turns out that the neck needed some more relief and now it is playing pretty darn smooth.

The store in question in case anyone in the Atlanta area would like to deal with a killer shop is: Braswell Music in Suwanee. They have a US G&L that I got my eye on...

Ox.

2. GAH im in the atlanta area(lilburn) but Suwanee is so far away... :(

oh and good deal i've been GASing for an ATK

3. I really love Mom and Pop shops like that...I've had young guys in big stores try the BS sales scams and poor service trying to get parts or information from the larger stores. Lets all hope that there is a "Circle of Life" and it goes back to small shops and HONEST service

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I will go on the record stating that I ABSOLUTELY HATE Ibanez basses. My Roadstar II P bass copy was ok when I played it in 1986, but all other ones I have played since have sucked (IMO).....

.... except the ATK.

Great bass for $500 and even better obviously at $300.

I have never gigged one but I did an open jam night and borrowed one and it is a great way to get a Precision and Stingray tone without spending $1000-1500. The neck is great too.

Good for you! I would have bought it for that price too.

5. Yeah I really dig the neck on it. I have been gassin' for one for a while, but this is the first time I saw one in person. I was hoping that it would play well and it did! I know that you said that you are not an Ibanez fan, but you should try an RD500 sometime if you get a chance. If you like the ATK, then you would probably dig that too.

Ox.

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Will do! Thanks for the tip...:bassist:

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'd say you owe them some regular visits and more business - and as well as they treated you, I'm sure it will happen. :p

8. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    what i really love is, i usually do alot of research on a product before i go into a store to try or test it out. then basically i'm teaching the sales person about it, and giving them the 411

makes me laugh

9. Sure 'nuff. This is the 2nd bass I bought from these guys. I got my first one there too. My brother has also bought a considerable amount of merchandise (sp?) from them too. What I dig the most about them is that there is absolutely NO pressure to buy. When I went back I told him that I was gassin' for the G&L and instead of pushing it, he says to me "Why? With what you have now, don't you think you are set for awhile? I would wait."

I mean, c'mon, talk about LOW pressure!

BTW, I am a converted gui**** and after about 9 mo. of serious bass playing I am up to 6 basses... is that bad?!

Ox.