Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another Lakland Question.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Chunk-O-Funk, Aug 25, 2005.

1. I tried doing a search for my inquiry but did not get the results I was hoping for. What I am looking for are strings that fit Laklands that have a exposed core on just the B string.

I want to try some different strings on my Lakland. Mostly because Lakland has been out of their brand for sometime in the gauge I like, and I like having just a tapered B string

I sent DR an email, but got a "call us" responds. My work hours conflict theirs so I may not get a chance to call them. I responded back with my explanation and was more specific to what I wanted so maybe they will be able to help.

I prefer Nickel roundwounds. So with the DR I was looking to try either Sunbeams or Lo-Rider Nickels.

Beside what GHS has to offer, What brands that fit Lakeland's have just the B string exposed core at the bridge.

Thanks,
    Matt.

EDIT: I string through the body.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Ken Smith?

3. Not too much traffic on this one I guess. So what's a boy to do? His own damn searching, that all! ;)

So for you Lakland owners who prefer to string through the body and like your tapered B string, here is the list I have come up with that does indeed have what you are looking for.

I am only going to list the manufactures, listing all the different model sets from nickel to stainless steel would be too time consuming. One of my main sources was juststrings.com plus a bit of googling and checking out the string manufactures web site. If you are looking for a specific set I suggest searching juststring.com, most manufactures web sites have very little information on them.

The following manufactures do make a set in an "extra long scale" (37") to accommodate the string trough option and do have a tapered B string.

Fodera
    Ken Smith (thanks NJL)
    La Bella
    S.I.T. (tapered E & B)

Other manufactures that were mentioned that do, but I could not confirm is:
    D'adderio (ex long scale, yes. tapered B??)
    Warwick
    Pedulla (probably not, their basses are 34" and do not string through the body)

DR does make an all tapered set (Long Necks, S.S. only), and most of their string sets will be long enough to string through the body, but I can not tell you if they make a set with just a tapered B.

MTD does make some sets with only a tapered B, they do make a 35" scale bass, but their strings may not be long enough to string through the body.

Any Lakland users out there that would like to contribute please do. I don't think that this is worthy of a sticky, but will be good for those that do search the forums. If I find out more I will edit this post.

4. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks Chunk, this is great info. I just picked up a Skyline JO5 and am having trouble finding strings that fit through the body. I prefer Nickel Rowndwounds so I am going to check out some DR Nickel Lo Riders.

fwiw, I have been a loyal D'Adarrio user (Slowounds, EXPs) for yeras on my Yamaha TRB-5 (34") and their regular long scale strings will not even reach the nut when strung thru the bridge on the Lakland

5. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    well, the store didn't carry nickel DRs so to be sure they fit thru the body I went with the DR "Long Necks" which they say are made to fit irregular scale length bases such as Lakland and Modulus. The B, E and A strings are all tapered and they seem pretty nice. However I'm just not used to SS strings. My JO5 also has a maple neck which makes things bright to begin with and I'm finding the Stainless sound way, way to zingy for my tastes. I really gotta roll off on the hi's.

Before I go ordering a set on-line, does anyone definitively know if any DR Nickel Roundwound string (Lo Riders, Sunbeams) will fit on a 35" scale Lakland (stringing through the body)?

6. Yes the DR's fit. Two months late I know. I was searching to see which D'Addario set fits my 55-01. Looks like SL.

Sunbeams are awesome strings.