Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another lame slap thread...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Matt Till, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Howdy Ya'll

I've reached a problem with my slapping. Most of my grooves sound similar. To best describe my slap style is older Red Hot Chili Peppers, or Robert T. (Last name is crazy) from Suicidal Tendancies/Infectious Grooves. It's fun cool stuff. But I need to expand my slapping horizions. I'm not up to Victor Wooten or Marcus Miller yet, I lack the low-end wizardry. But uhhh, any suggestions for recommend listening/learning would be Pizzlestains. Thanks.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    P.S. Does this belong in recordings? If so... sorry. Because I'm more concered with different slap TECHNIQUES... but then again, I did talk about some RECORDINGS... I'm so confused. Your call Moderators [salute]

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I guess I'm just forever cursed to play like old school flea... :(

4. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    play blues. play primus. play something different. oh well. play faith no more/mr bungle.

5. hayngman

hayngman

Aug 20, 2002
    Wise County, TX
    Faith No More, definitely. BTW, Rob Trujillo IS awesome. Whatever you do, don't stick to root/octave bullsh*t, And don't listen to Korn.

6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yeah, that slapping root/octave thing is total cack. Anyone who does that is just lame.

I can't even begin to imagine all those crap bass lines made up of pretty much just root-octave slapping.

Higher Ground, Aeroplane... Flea, tss. Loads of Larry Graham stuff - man he sux - "thank you falletinme be mice elf again" by Sly Stone is a dreadful bassline, what was he thinking?
    Oh and Bootsy can stick it in his big ol' a$$ while I'm at it, loads of his early slap lines with JB was innundated with roots & octaves, pants.

;)

7. hayngman

hayngman

Aug 20, 2002
    Wise County, TX
    I guess I should have said "...don't JUST stick to..." It definitely serves its purpose but it's far from original, nowadays.

8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    This is true.

Playing roots, chord and scale tones, dominant and chromatic notes isnt original either, but it sounds good! That's far more important than being original I'm sure you'll agree :)

My advice, practice slapping every day and record yourself.
    Dont get too bogged down with being original. The chances are you'll be doing something that's been done a zillion times before and unless you've heard every record ever released you'll never know about it!

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't know, the slap basslines I've come up with lately have been just very similiar to one another. And I've learned a few FNM songs and Primus, with primus, even though I love les, some of his songs are a bit too challanging or a bit too six string bass. Oh yeah, and as for Mr. Bungle, soooooo much insanity, soooo many random changes.... suuuucch an awesome band.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Waaaaaaay ahead of you. There first album isn't bad, but Fieldy is as far from an influence on me as bassists get... thank god.

11. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    StupidMatt,

I teach slap at school and most students complain of the same problem as you are describing. i.e. "I am playing the same old stuff over and over".

1. Transcribe a line that you love. When you really get it down you will have new material to work with and develop variations on.

2. I would like to recommend a play-along CD/book to work with. This tool has 57 tracks (roughly 2-3 minutes each) of slap bass to learn and play with as well as many solos you should copy.

http://www.jimstinnett.com/books.html#anchorbassworkout
    (You can look at a sample page of the book and listen to mp3 clips if you like.)

The bassist's on this session are exceptional players and you will enjoy playing with them while learning new material and grooving.

Once you can play the earlier tracks, do them again and now you can practice your double thumb on the same eights and sixteenths. Continuing to develop your technique is vital. I have found that most players will only play new stuff as their technique grows.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    James S,

I would love to buy a new book, but it's funny because a book is what got me in the same rut I'm in now. I got Mel Bay's "Slap Bass Book" (I think that's the title), but all the grooves seemed very similar. This book seems diverse enough, so maybe I'll check it out, when I'm more finacially secure.

13. Do wut feels unatural...

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've been trying, I'm mixing things up a little bit... but now I need to do more interesing fingerstyle stuff. It's just I've been stuck in this slap rut and it seems I don't spend enough time on fingerstyle... even though in a real band situation I rarely slap, but I do plan on recording stuff for my "band" so... ehhh, I don't care what anyone says, bass is hard ;)

15. Dawg... just listen to something totaly different, like a totaly diferent style. Learn one riff that u hear and just work off dat.it's a start.

16. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    First:

Transpose regular basslines into a slap line. Don't worry about long held notes

Then on the technique side

1) Learn double thumping (using the thumb on the up and down stroke)

3) Learn double popping (allocate index finger on a or D string, allocate middle finger on d or G string, so you can pop-pop)

4) Learn how to double thump and pop on the SAME string

5) learn how to strum

6) Laern left hand damping, and percussive effects in conjuntion with the right hand

7) Learn how to do all of the above seamlesly whenever you want to from one technique to the next.

See my website for details and tab:

http://www.peterduncan.net

Once you start here, other right hand variations will creep up as well

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Thanks!

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yeah all the above but also, don't get discouraged!
    we all have our down times when we feel like we are not getting anywhere, but if you just keep things together and stay with it, you'll not only improve at bass, but you will improve as a bassist and musician.

or at least, thats how I see it :)......works for me :)

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I haven't been seeing myself get better in a long time, people claim I am, but I'm not playing to please other people. LUCKILY, I'm going to be a music major and learn all that theroy bull**** I hear so much about. ;) THEN we'll see who's laughing, HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :rolleyes:

20. tequonic

tequonic

Oct 29, 2002
    Toms RIver, NJ
    ive been on a slap craze lately. thats all i have been doing, and i have hit the same point that you have. the way i got out of it was working on my mutes. dont play any notes when you slap. slap the e string with your right hand thumb, then mute the strings with your left hand, then slap the e string again, then pop the g string. get really fast at doing that and make up variations of it. then you can start adding notes to the slapping and popping single notes or chords. it takes some time but it works awesome. it sounds alot like pnut from 311 on the feel so good solo. he is one of my favs.