another lane poor question....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i love the sound of my fb4 with lane poor pup and bart ntmb preamp. i want to put the same setup in my other flea bass so i can get the same kinda sound on stage when i swap them. i cant find a lane poor anywhere. any suggestions of a pickup that sounds like a lane poor in a flea bass? any ideas? it has a bart pup and aguilar op1 preamp now. thanx
  2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Lane Poor pickups show up on eBay from time to time. Unfortunately Lane Poor has been out of business for several years now.

I understand that Carey Nordstrand offers an MM pickup. I haven't heard it, but I understand it sounds quite good. You might also consider checking out Aero pickups. I don't know if they offer that shape, but they might.
  3. Pickups that come to mind are Q-Tuner, Aero, and the Bartolini CX (or EX).

I've got a couple of LPs in my Hamer 12-string and they are great sounding pickups.
  4. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    As much as this might sound strange, the Armstrong MM pickup that is sold by WD sounds the closest to a LP, and costs about 50 bucks, IIRC.
  5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I had a Lane Poor in my flea, but I changed it out for a Nordstrand MM4.2 and have never looked back. I would highly recommend the Nord pickup, but if you're going for the Lane Poor flavor, the two are miles apart in terms of similarity. At least in my opinion.
  6. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I ran across a post that mentioned Bart CB MM's were similar to LP's. I've got an LP M3.5W and it definetly is closer to a Bart than anything else I've heard and could probably easily be mistaken for Bart - splitting hairs.

I've had Bart MMC & MME's and they are in a different ballpark than the typical exposed pole makers. I didn't find the Nord 4.2 different enough from the other alnico 5's I had to be of any significance - in fact I kept a Carvin alnico and sold the Nord. The ceramic's are a noticeable brighter without the vintage vibe.

See Dimento's experiment for various reviews.
  7. Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i have the bart pup that comes in the flea bass. does anyone know which one that is(which bart)?