1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another list: Song-defining bass lines

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Raman, May 25, 2018.

1. jasmangan

jasmangan

Jul 13, 2008
    Another one bites the dust-Queen
    Primus-sucks

2. Raman

Raman Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Good picks! Thanks!

3. Raman

Raman Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    PIL !!!

4. Raman

Raman Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc

5. Raman

Raman Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    And especially
    Jah Wobble, I mean...

6. Raman

Raman Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Breeders - Little Fury
    pure bass

7. Raman

Raman Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Breaking a taboo here...

8. Gunther

Gunther

Jun 11, 2013
    Sleepy Ville, USA
    I would add "For the Love of Money" by OJ's, "Heard It through the Grapevine" by Gladys Knight and the Pips," "My Girl" by the Temptations," "Bernadette" by the 4 Tops, "Rhonda" by the Beach Boys, "Footprints" by Wayne Shorter, "(You Better) Think" by Aretha Franklin, "For What It's Worth" cover by the Voices of East Harlem -- well, my list is long and I don' wanna bore nobody by my music snobbery. It's true. O, it's damned trued.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Raman likes this.
  9. Gunther

Gunther

Jun 11, 2013
    Sleepy Ville, USA
    Oh! How could I ever forget "My Sharona" by those guys...?

Raman likes this.
  10. Gunther

Gunther

Jun 11, 2013
    Sleepy Ville, USA
    Gotta 'nother one. "Oh, What a Night" by Franki Valli. Then there's "Turn, Turn, Turn" by the Byrds. Then there's "Mozambique" by Bob Dylan. Then there's "Cissy Strut" by the Meters (NO ONE gets the bass part much less the song's feel right 'cause you got to swing that mo'fo' in super funk twang big, bold, beautiful accomplished only through a genuine brotherly love IMHO), "I Second that Emotion" by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, "She's Somethin' Else" by Eddie Cochran, all of Jim Fielder's work with Blood Sweat and Tears ... I'll leave it there.

Raman likes this.
  11. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada

Raman likes this.
  12. Gunther

Gunther

Jun 11, 2013
    Sleepy Ville, USA
    There's Stevie's "Sir Duke" which in the instrumental turnaround where I've heard "bassists" completely stop playing out of some sort of apathy about their own ability to play it down. I so surely have no appreciation for amateurs. Worse are those who've convinced themselves they're somehow incapable without ever really working at music, bass, 'cause there's so much joy in pulling all that stuff off with everyone else naturally. This phenomena, IMHO, is directly attributed to the Guitar Center business model -- create and perpetuate an exclusive market of rank and file amateurs which is terrible for people, their friends, families and communities. Trying harder is too much work. There's TV and smartphone to fill the void GC has left in its terrible wake. Entire forests mowed down to create a glut of pawn store specials marketed for beginners. Now there's nothing but beginners. Please. Someone talk to me about this 'cause, like the song sez, I'm about to lose my mind.

Raman likes this.
  13. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    These threads wwould be a lot more interesting and informative if people put a song title and artist instead of simply a link to a video, I don't click videos on my phone ans so have no idea what songs some folks are talking about.

I'm also pedantic and/or crotchety enough to wish people remembered 4th grade and put titles in quotes so folks who aren't familiar can tell artist from title.

Now, get offa my lawn, burn your five-string, and shape up before I call the authorities. Durn kids...

Raman and Bob_Ross like this.
  14. Gunther

Gunther

Jun 11, 2013
    Sleepy Ville, USA
    Aw, look at that little pecker in the water -- and the infant, too....

shawshank72 likes this.
  15. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Damn old people, always raining on the parade. ;)

Raman likes this.
  16. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    I was spinning the FM dial the other night, caught this gem, and thought of this thread. Kudos to Joe Bouchard (bass) and Martin Birch (producer and mixing).

18. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    How 'bout:
    Teen Town - Weather Report, Composer/Bassist Jaco Pastorius
    Stratus - Billy Cobham Spectrum, Composer Billy Cobham, Bassist Lee Sklar
    You Can Call Me Al - Paul Simon, Composer Paul Simon, Bassist Bakithi Kumalo
    Glamor Profession - Steely Dan, Bassist Anthony Jackson
    Les Brers in A Minor - Allman Brothers Band, Bassist Berry Oakley
    Double Bubble - The Crusaders, Bassist Wilton Felder

Don't think these have been mentioned.

Jim

19. Raman

Raman Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    The Breeders - Skinhead