Another List - This Might Be Tough

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by GrooveWarrior, Feb 8, 2005.

1. I am a BG guy who has recently discovered the beautiful world of DB and am fast becoming a fan. So far, I love Patitucci, McBride, Gomez, and Dave Holland, but have heard very little from the last two.

Of the following bassists, list your two or three favorite songs by them. I want to discover as much music as I can.

Eddie Gomez
    Dave Holland
    Miroslav Vitous
    Ron Carter
    Scott LaFaro
    Edgar Meyer

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Not songs, but recordings

DAVE HOLLAND - Conference of the Birds, Emerald Tears, Joe Lovano Trio w/Ed Blackwell

MIROSLAV VITOUS - not a big fan, but I like Chick Corea's TRIO MUSIC with Roy Haynes

NHOP - FALLING IN LOVE WITH LOVE with the Tete Montiliu Trio (Tootie HEath on drums), DOUBLE BASS with Sam Jones

CHARLES MINGUS - AH, UM and BLACK SAINT AND THE SINNER LADY. MONEY JUNGLE is nice, also the concert with Bud, Bird, Diz and Max.

But you'll also want to check out recordings by Oscar Pettiford, Israel Crosby, Paul Chambers, Sam Jones, christ about a million others...
  3. Thanks Ed. I guess I should fill you in on my favorite tunes so far.
    Eddie Gomez - "So Near, So Far" on Harvey Mason's With All My Heart CD (this CD is one of my deserted island CD's)

Dave Holland - "You've Got it Bad Girl" on Herbie Hancock's The New Standard CD

Miroslav Vitous - The only song I have that I know is him playing is "Faith Run" and it is pretty wild.

Others I have and like:
    John Patitucci - Heart of the Bass. I have loved this CD for a number of years now.

Stanley Clarke - Rite of Strings CD, the song "Touch" - seeing him play that live was unreal.

Christian McBride - his cover of Havona, "I'm Coming Home", "Open Sesame", "Xerxes", "Via Mwandishi", "Technicolor Nightmare", "Precious One" (those are all solo). With David Sanborn - "Comin' Home Baby", "Sugar". "Temptation" with Diana Krall. "Rush Hour/Road Rage", "Sweet Dreams", "The Black Messiah (Part Two)", "Let's Roll", "Ain't It Funky Now", "Another Way To Look At It", and "Chillin'" with George Duke. "Lle Ife", "(re)MOVEd", and "Philadelphia Freedom" from The Philadelphia Experiment. OK, SO I LIKE CHRISTIAN MCBRIDE.

Brian Bromberg - "Caravan" with Dave Grusin. I know he is being self-indulgent, but I like it.
  4. Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    dont forget

miroslav's solo record "emergence", and "atmos" w/ jan garabek

eddie gomez "intuition" duo w/ bill evans
  5. bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Eddie Gomez: Chick Corea's "Three Quartets" and I'll second Savino's mention of "Intuition"

Dave Holland: "Ones All" and trio recording with Pat Meth and Roy Haynes, "Question and Answer".

Miroslav: Chick Corea's "Now He Sings, Now He sobs" and "Trio Music live in Europe"

NHOP: Oscar Peterson with "The Bassists" on Pablo.

Mingus: "Money Jungle" and "Mingus at Antibes"

Scott LaFaro: Hampton Hawes' "For Real" and of course, Bill Evans' "Sunday at the Village Vanguard"

Ron Carter: "Third Plane" and Herbie Hancock Quartet (the one from the early '80s with Wynton and Tony Williams)

What Ed said about all the other great bassists, especially

Ray Brown: "OP Trio + One" with Clark Terry, and "Poll Winners Three" with Barney Kessel and Shelly Manne.
  6. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Dang, you can hear anything by these guys and learn something, but here's a sampling:

Gary Karr - Brown Soft Shoe

Renaud Garcia-Fons - Derniere Route

Edgar Meyer - Bottesini Concerto #2, 1st mvmt.

The "I'm so cool I play legit jazz" list in my book would have to include John Goldsby, Rufus Reid and Michael Moore. They don't fear the bow!
  7. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Eddie Gomez on Bill Evans' "You Must Believe In Spring".
  8. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    Dis you mean in regards to their Bass playing, or more generally, compositions, etc? Cause those would be very diff lists for me
  9. I'd love to know what you think in both areas. I love to hear the difference between the two disciplines. I am always amazed to hear what line a player puts to a song he didn't write. I would love for someone to do an album (Herbie, Chick, whoever) where it was one composition and have 10 different bass players come in and put their own line down without ever hearing the other takes on it. I know that wouldn't sell very well, but I would buy it in a second.
  10. That tune in particular is one of my favorites. I know it follows a pretty typical Evans trio formula (piano plays head solo, bass solo, piano solo with broken interactive 2 feel, bass walks midway through solo, head, out), but there is something really satisfying about the moment when Gomez starts his walking line during Evans solo. I could listen to this tune over and over. I guess it's just great trio playing that is full of all those Bill Evans cliches...I love 'em.
  11. Stretch, i'd love to hear what you consider a " Bill Evans cliche "?
    I'm not 'yankin' yer chain'...i'm serious
  12. Maybe "cliches" wasn't the best word to use. "Devices" or "signatures" might have been a better choice and I certainly wasn't being negative in this case. I guess that I was referring to was his melodic inside-sounding eighth note lines that he would play with triplets mixed in. There's one point in the solo where he repeats a triplet idea and you can hear it coming a mile away if you are familiar with his playing, but it makes you want to jump out of your chair and scream YEAH like a sports fan at a football game.

BTW, I have been playing piano since 1985 and have studied jazz piano since around 1989 or so and I'm a huge Bill Evans fan. BG is something I have picked up more recently. This is the first time that I have posted in the upright forum.
  13. Welcome!
    I figured when you said 'cliches' that, at least if you know Bills playing at all, that you didn't use it in a negative way.
  14. Thanks. Maybe I'll post here some more.
  15. TomSauter

Dec 22, 2004
    Kennesaw, GA

I haven't listened to a whole lot of Eddie Gomez, but he sounds awesome on the tune "Pools" from Steps Ahead.
    Dave Holland--this is not a cd but have you seen the Jack DeJohnette video with him, Herbie, and Pat Metheny? I felt stupid after seeing him on that video.
    Miroslav--"Freedom Jazz Dance" from Mountain in the Clouds
    NHOP--Oscar Peterson Live in Russia
    Ron Carter--Sugar by Stanley Turrentine, Speak no Evil by Wayne Shorter
    Mingus--Mingus Ah Um
    Scott LaFaro--Waltz for Debby Bill Evans
    Edgar Meyer--Work in Progress, Love of a Lifetime, Dreams of Flight. These are really hard to find but well worth it to me.
  16. I just picked up Sunday at the Village Vanguard. Wow! Amazing. Thanks for the recommendations! I will always take more.
  17. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Ray Brown:"Ray Brown, Monty Alexander, Russell Malone"
    Ray Brown's last recording if I'm not mistaken.

Jim Hall & Ron Carter: Alone Together

Gary Burton (w/ Steve Swallow on EB): Six Pack (out of print)
    Their version of Invitation just kills me, not to mention Kurt Rosewinkel's on it.
  18. JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY

The CD "Jim Hall and Basses" get's close
    It's Jim with several different basses, showing their different approach and technique.
    Jim Hall and Basses

19. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    If you want to check out some nifty tunes by Meyer, I would think that checking his cd Uncommon Ritual would be a good idea...not sure that's necessarily the kind of stuff you're looking for, but it's definitely good stuff.