Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another "Listen To This Song Please"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Big Benner, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Hey everyone,

I've been kind of rethinking my approach after a "fan" said that the bass was too busy in the band. My bandmates think it's fine but I'm wondering if we are all just used to it. I'd love some input and constructive criticism.

You can go to http://www.shortwavetheband.com/songs.htm

There are three songs there and I would love for comments on all but it's the first one, "Last Look" that is worrying me.

Constructive criticism is what I'm looking for so tell me the good, the bad and the ugly. Thanks all.

Benner

2. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I tried but it wouldnt work for me everytime I pressed download it just re-loaded the page

3. Hysteria

Hysteria Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    England
    Although the bass is a little busy I don't think its overly busy. Having said that it might be worth calming down a few of the 'fills' at the end of the measures at some point, perhaps playing a little more simply on occasion. This is only my opinion, just play whatever feels right to you and your bandmates! Keep up the good work.

4. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I decided not to read other´s replies, to be less influenced.
    I personally think that the bass line is Ok. In fact I like it.
    You never seem to overplay or showing off. The line is very supportive and the rythmic section is really tight.

I don´t know who made those comments about your bass line, but I completely disagree.

Just my .02

5. Thanks for the comments everyone.

Hysteria, perhaps you're right. I've been trying to coalm down all of my fills and keep to specific lines, to complement the song and to repeat things so that my band mates know what I'm going to do and can hopefully react or compliment my line. Same goes for there parts,... if I know what they are going to do I can compliment it. For example, if my drummer always does the same fill with a little push after the first verse, then I can do that little push with him hopefully making a tighter sounding band. Doesn't always happen though.

Papersen, that's what I'm going for, "supportive and the rythmic section ... tight". I think I'll slim the line down a little and see if that actually makes it more supportive and tighter.

Broach_insound, ah oh. That's not good if you can't download the songs. Are you on a PC or MAC. I just went back to www.shortwavetheband.com and realized that they are Windows Media Files. You'll need Windows Media Player. I'll talk to the web guy and see if we can switch that to MP3s.

Thanks again to all.

Benner

6. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I think you guys sound great. You bass playing sounds good to me.