Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another Looping Device (?)

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by bump, Feb 20, 2003.

1. bump

bump

Jan 13, 2003
    Auburn, CA
    Hey fellers,

Anyone have any experience with the Digitech GNX3 as far as looping in concerned??

It is billed as an eight track recorder slapped onto a multi effects unit, however, the looping functions appear to be quite extensive. Fer five hunnert buck-o's it appears to have all the features and perhaps more than the echo-plex.

From what I gather, the basic looping function switches can be assigned to the footswitches and up to 8 loops can be playing at one time with the option to mute any of them........ From what I understand, with all the other loopers out there (with perhaps the exception of the Repeater) you're basically working with one loop and the undo just undoes the last layer and one cannot access each layer individually. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Drawback is that to mute the loops one must use the tiny little finger buttons.

I'm thinkin' (I know, it's dangerous) that if one could find someone to rig up some footswitches to act in place of the little track mute buttons it might....... just......... be.......... too......... cool........

:bassist:

Anyone? Someone? Everyone?

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Rob,

there's been some discussion about it over at Looper's Delight - have a browse of the archives at http://www.loopers-delight.com - from what I recall the feature list is great, but the use in a real time situation was a bit weird... don't quote me on that, but i think that was the deal. It does sound like it could have some very interesting applications, particularly for dance stuff where you could play live then remix on the fly...

As for it being more versatile than the EDP - it's unlikely - the multitrack thing does sound very useful, but you can do a lot of that kind of stuff using the next loop function in the EDP, to copy your original loop across, layer, then switch back, copy to a new space, layer something else, switch back, copy loop 2, layer and edit, switch back etc... there are loads of options there for those kind of manouvres - for more on this have a listen to some of the sound clips on Andre LaFosse's site - www.altruistmusic.com - he's the EDP-Elvis! :D

let me know if you get a chance to try it out, it does sound like a fascinating box...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk