Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

another Mesa RR cab question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, May 21, 2003.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Ok, I did a TB search and did not come up with anything. Sorry if it's been covered before and I just missed it.

Did all the older style (square, black, metal grate on front) 810 RR cabs come EV loaded? If not, is there a way to check the cab (model number, look of the speaker, etc.) and know if they're EV 10s or not?

I have a call in to Mesa but I thought I would get feedback from you all. Thanks.

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I do believe that all the old RR 8x10's used EVs. Some of the others in that series used a few different makes, but I think every 10" speaker was an EV, as well as the 15". Not sure about the 12", 6", or 18".

Great cabs.

3. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    My Road Ready Mesa 4x10 has factory original Eden drivers. The Powerhouse 1000 I owned had both Eden (10") and EV (15") drivers.

Eden manufactured cabinets for many companies including Mesa and SWR and used their own hand built drivers as well as EV's. This stopped sometime in the mid-late '90's. I have heard several times that this was due to direct competition between the Eden WT-800, SWR SM-900 and Mesa/Boogie M-2000. That could be a myth, but it would make perfect sense.

The 10" drivers from this period have the word "Eden" stamped right in the back. The 15" and 18" drivers are all EV's.

Very early Mesa bass cabinets *may* have had 10" EV drivers, I don't really know.

4. I paid the extra $$ to have my RR's upgraded to EV. I believe they had PAS in them otherwise?

5. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Yup, PAS or Eden, depending on the year they were made. Now that you say that, Mad Subwoofer, I do believe Mesa has always offered EV's as an upgrade.

They are still available as direct replacements on the Mesa site.

Should anyone be interested, Mesa cabinets with Eden drivers are usually identified by the sloppily applied dust covers.The glue is almost always uneven, occasionally with runs. This was the case with both Eden speaker cabinets I owned also. If I had the ability to post pics here, I could give you a good example of the difference.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Yeah, thtat's right, some of them did have Edens. Were the 8s, 12s, and 18s PAS?

7. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    So basically look for Eden on the back of the speaker or look for glue runs? If I don't see either, are they EVs?

I also heard that the EVs are shiny and the Edens have a more flat or dull look.

Thanks for all the great info.