1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another mic question

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by grobe, May 19, 2011.

1. grobe

grobe

Apr 9, 2009
    Mass
    I'm planning on recording both mic + direct. I want to record separate tracks using the mic for high frequencies and the DI signal for lows. Would a SM 57 work fine for the high freqs, or would a RE-20 or MD-421 be a better choice.

Also any recommendations for a good x-over freq and slope? I will be working in Reaper.

thx

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Record them both full range then play with the EQ on mixdown.
    57 is good for close miking but not so good if you want to capture the room.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    with a di blended, a 57 will do great. run the di up to about 100-120hz, then use the mic for everything else. but if you can get your hands on an re-20, that's the shizz for bass. no di needed for that one. a heil pr40 is also very re-20-like if you back off it about 3 inches from where you'd put your re20.

4. grobe

grobe

Apr 9, 2009
    Mass
    That'll work then. Cool.

5. grobe

grobe

Apr 9, 2009
    Mass
    Hmmm but why not use the di anyways... even if it helps the bass response just a little.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    my reasoning is that i like the response of my ampeg cabs and it usually works in a mix better than adding a di. but there's nothing at all wrong with di + mic if that's what you want to do.

7. grobe

grobe

Apr 9, 2009
    Mass
    ok, thanks.

8. the 421 and re-20 can stand alone on a bass cab. both of those AND the 57 are true workhorse mics. i cant think of a single thing they couldnt handle. i use a 421 for all bass cabs and right now using it on kick drums and a lot of lead vocals. also sounds swell on guitar amps.

if you've got the money, they are nice mics to have, but if you're trying to work cheap, your plan with the 57 will be very sufficient.

9. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    57 and a DI is a nice combo, but MD421 and RE-20 would be upgrades IMO, both as stand alone solution or blending with a DI, you can never go wrong with more great gear!

10. Scrappersa

Scrappersa

Jan 12, 2009
    The 57 is way too bright for my liking. I don't have any experience with 421 but I've heard it sounds incredible on bass cabs.

11. If you can get the response you want from one source then that's often best, just a bit easier to avoid slight phase issues etc. If your Mic sound is killer, and you add non time aligned di to it its only gonna make things sound worse! But well worth putting both up anyway to see, and normally both do something positive but worth considering everything has pros and cons!

Delay the di by a ms or two and see if that helps things, get it all working and a 57 will be fine but as mentioned an re20 will sing. And a 421's high prescence is higher than a 57's so can sound a bit more natural (the emphasis is way above where a bass lives, though can add a bit of air!).

12. regarding time aligning, dont guess. zoom in to samples and move one track so that the zero cross points line up as close as possible. then nudge in both directions and find a spot thats pleasing to the ear. maybe you like a little phase? you'll find out.

13. grobe

grobe

Apr 9, 2009
    Mass
    Huh... that's the first time I have heard of that. Will try it.

To everybody: What about x-over for the two tracks? Worth trying, or should I just do a high cut filter to the DI track? Any cool plugins that can specifically do this?

All of this stuff is way overkill for what I'm using it for (I'm not cutting any records or anything), but it'll be fun to get some tracks as professional sounding as possible.

14. depending on how close you put the 57 (and by proxy how much proximity effect you get, you likely want to use that signal down to 150-200 hz and then your DI under that. this works especially well if you have overdrive on your amp. keeps the bottom sparkly clean for clarity.

15. Yeah recording is made up of a million and one little techniques that each add a little something!

It's all useful to play around with for sure, even if its overkill for what you are doing!

Don't worry too much about crossing over the signals clinically, the Mic may well get some low character which is nice overlayed with the di. You want to work on getting a sound from each that positively reinforces the other. That said a clinical crossover could work but its not something I end up using very often! As always, ears are the key, work out where the low end.of the di stops doing much good and cut from there, band try and get the amp sound to sound great from that point up!

Re. Aligning, yeah, don't guess, start with aligning by eye and then play around from there, I usually find that what works technically is a little away from what sounds the best but that's a judgement call based on your bass, amp and soundcard etc!

Any eq plug will do the trick if it has a filter curve option, the differences between each are very minimal until you are.really.competant with the basics!