1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another MIDI Thread :P

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Zangetsu, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Zangetsu

Zangetsu

Sep 14, 2008
    I recently got an Ibanez SR700, I'm thinking about putting in a MIDI pickup to experiment with a few sounds in my band. I just had a few questions for those with one installed:

Whats the general concessus of the tracking accuracy?

There a few different systems around, which would be considered the best?

What does it actually connect in to? From what I understand its some sort of VGA or 13-pin connector that connects to a synth/midi keyboard, is it a specific type or will any synth work or am I completely wrong?

I'm basically looking for a details of how they work, what I will need to buy (apart from the pickup) and if they really are worth it.

I will be using it mainly for atmospheric sounds, spacey, nothing too tight for electro and electronica styles of music. In an ideal world I would still have my clean bass tone underneath.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: This will be used for live performance only!

2. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Look here for a primer on the GK system.
    The GK pickup doesn't output MIDI (nor VGA, for that matter). It outputs a GK signal, which is essentially a hexaphonic analog bass signal. This you can connect to a guitar synth like the Roland GR-20 or the Axon. These units will output MIDI signals, in addition to their internal sound generators.

Tracking is decent. Good in higher registers (approx C2 and upwards), slower the lower you go. Go here and listen to the clips under the GR-20 heading.

3. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    bass setup and strings also play a role. I have experience with the axon-piezo setup...one thing that bugged me was the setup software for the rack units..very cumbersome in the layout design. And the quality of the units are kinda sporadic.

THe roland has been and still is the best for the money and effort youll need to put into it to get it to work.