Another Minty Old Bass! 56-57!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Wow, that's a great condition considering it's almost 50 years old!
  2. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    I'd be skeptical. After all, you'd think it would've been played harder than that if it were a decent bass.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Call me what you will, but I would demand a certificate of authenticity from either George Gruhn or the Fender Company before I'd lay out 5 grand, (the price where this is easily going or more) on an eBay purchase.

To me, eBay is just too shady. There are Japanese collectors who wouldn't blink at laying out 5 figures on this bass if it's authentic in every way.
  4. Sure Suzie, :p

For the money this is going for it's going to have to come from a dealer or person you trust. Regardless of any feedback system, I'd want to look at it as well as having someone that knows much more than me to look at it.
  5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Bass is legit. Its about 20 minutes from my house and I've checked it out. Bid if you'd like to own. I'm gonna!!

6. rickbass

If you don't let one of the best look at it, Gladys, I think you'e a fool.
  7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I dont really belive that the string-trough body was an option on those years.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow that is some axe, it is just like making an investment.
  9. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

All first generation P's were string through body. Buy a vintage bass guide and do the research. Its all in those books. The bridge, decal, pickguard, thumbrest, all right on. Check it out. I did. It's a 56. 57 was the first year of the way the P looks now.

10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yes, the string through-body was indeed on those '51-'57 basses back then.

Of course vintage buying can be tricky. You absolutely have to do you homework on what was what and identifying all the correct parts.
  11. MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    i think you'll find if you asked George that he no longer certifies "authenticity" simply because today's copies are THAT good and virtually undetectable even by guys like him ...
  12. Smiley=humor?

Five grand is chump change in the vintage market. I just sold a 58 Les Paul Special with a chunk out of the headstock for 5K. Once it gets to 50K that's when you really want provenance and authentication- like flying a few experts out to inspect it.

The vintage guitar game is played by people that operate with budgets that would make your head spin.

Because of amazing forgeries, prices are astronomical, and that just makes the dishonest ones make their forgeries even better.

I'll stick with player grade vintage.

If this is a one owner guitar, and is real, the owner should have pictures if he played as often as it's inferred in the seller's description. Again, provenance is the main thing that's going to make this a real seller.

Rickbass, I couldn't quite tell if you were being spiteful, but I wasn't trying to be a weenie, it was there and I took it. Not maliciously, playfully.
  13. rickbass

Spiteful ? No at reason for that :confused:

All I was saying is that I'd want it checked out by an expert because the price is so low. It's as easy as taking pictures and sending them to Elderly Instruments where, for something like $45, George Gruhn or, perhaps another expert, will check out the pictures and give their opinion.

I've seen 50's Precis's in horrible shape fetching well over $5k in the US.
  14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Congrats on the win, man! Have a good time with it and report back as to how it sounds.
  15. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Honestly, I fell in love with it. I met the man who bought it brand new!! He had changed strings about a half dozen times! Still has the felt mutes and has never been disassembled! Nice and light too! I'm sure it wont leave the house. Cant wait to plug her in. Mininal fretwear. Thanx

16. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Congratulations man... that looks really awesome! And don't ever try to sell it ok?

*jealous mode* ;)
  17. Daaaaayum, nice job! Post more pics, and some recordings too!