Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another Mode Concern...

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by LifeSpitter, Apr 9, 2002.

1. LifeSpitter

LifeSpitter Guest

Apr 6, 2002
    Bass Heaven
    I understand modes but have not really felt the need to use them.........or maybe i am using them by accident.

I figure if i know the key then i know what i can play under each corresponding chord. Is this just a cheap way of using modes without knowing them conciously?

I feel i can construct lines well by thinking in this manner only,...and when i try to think modally(rarely) i usually come up with the same result. I mean ifyou think about it,...all the same notes are in all the modes in a specific key. THe mode is just a different interval, and it seems almost pointless to me.

The only thing i can think of that modes would really help with is the construction of walking basslines.......thats about it.

Is there something im missing? If so can you enlighten me........thanks

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Don't forget about soloing and melodic development as well. using an appropriate mode can really make the difference between an interesting solo and a mundane, boring, "heard that before" solo

Mike

3. LifeSpitter

LifeSpitter Guest

Apr 6, 2002
    Bass Heaven
    So should i use them just as a guide for soloing over chords and a way to "find my place" musically, in a song, during a given solo, so as to allow me to play what is right under differing chords?

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    A guide to creating bass lines, soloing, finding your way or anything else, to allow you to play the right notes under a particular chord.

Another thing, if you look at the 5 position system (do a search here), you'll see added benefits of how and where you play something. For example if I'm playing that Bb7 to Eb7 vamp we discussed earlier. I could play Bb mixolydian to Eb Mixolydian or Eb major to Ab major. The point is that it is a definite shift in hand position and although we might be playing the same notes they might be in totally different positions. We loose a sense of continuity between the chord changes. However ...

If we play a Bbmix over the Bb7 and a Bb dorian over the Eb7 - we now are in the same basic position on the bass, all the notes are under our fingers and we can see the subtle differences between the two chord scales.

Same changes, different modes:
    Ab Lydian over the Bb7 to Ab major over the Eb7.

Remember to outrline the harmony in these new positions.

How has your bass line developed?

Study the bassline from "footprints" by Wayne Shorter - the way the bass goes from the C-7 to the F-7.
    You can find my lesson on it at

Bassically.net on line lessons

Mike

5. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Ugg...I hate that song...it goes C G C Eb, G, then at the F-7 change it goes C, G, C, Bb, G...I believe...haven't played that tune in awhile...the G might be an Ab or something in the F-7 change...

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I'm sorry you hate that song. Presonally, I relly like it and playing over it is a ball. Over the F-7 chord the G is actually and F and the Bb is an Ab.

Mike

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Ed,
    you really must realx a bit more in my forum. This is the laid back, cool cat, hip (but not too hip) forum.

For the rest of you
    Ed really has a great point. The study of modes is really much deeper than the diatonic (in the key) modes of some major scale. It is really about functional harmony (the way a chord or chord progression functions within a tune). The basic diatonic modes are a great start. As we start to play more sophisticated music, we have to expand our concept of the modes to include all the possibilities Ed mentions (secondary dominants, sequences, etc). But, please note that there is time for that. The study of music theory is a lifetime pursuit

Mike