Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another Modulus question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by INTP, Oct 31, 2005.

1. INTP

INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I have a Quantum 5 that's buzzing, but not everywhere. It's primarily on the A string, and somewhat on the E string. It's most noticable when fretting the 2nd fret, and gets better at about the 5th fret. I can get it to go away by raising the action, but it's too high for my taste.

I checked the relief and I believe it's fine. When holding the string at 1st and 24th frets, you can just fit a credit card under the string. The neck has no trussrod, so this appears to be a good thing...

I suspect it's fret wear, but am not sure if I've missed anything. When I look at the frets, I can definitely see more wear on them around the problem frets, starting at 2nd fret and getting better as you go up the neck. It's also more obvious on the A and E strings at these frets (wear on G and D strings is more around the 5th fret and up, but no buzzing here).

I also don't know whether I need someone with experience working on graphite necks to do any fret work, or if it's the same as a wood neck.

One final thought is that I have tapered core strings on it (with appropriate bridge height adjustment!). They're GHS Contact Core Super Steels, and the sizes are 45-65-85-106-130. I'd switch the strings if I thought it would help, so suggestions are welcome here, too. I do like the tone of the tapered cores on this bass, though.

2. INTP

INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    So if I understand this correctly, I'll fret around fret 19 or 20 instead of the last fret (24). I'll do that when I get home tonight, though I suspect that will produce a very similar result. The neck does look pretty even overall.

They're pretty old. I'll try a new set and see how that goes.

Thanks for the reply.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Use a dependable straight edge to test the frets. If the straight edge touches the first and third but leaves a gap at the second, your fret wear theory may hold water. Check 2,3,5 and 3,4,5 etc.

If the frets can all be redressed to correct a low fret (as in file the rest of them down) I would be comfortable allowing anyone that you would otherwise trust to do the work to work on the Q5.

If the bass actually requires a refret, I might at least contact Modulus to see if they might do the work. I think the peace of mind might be worth the extra time and money.