Another Modulus question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by INTP, Oct 31, 2005.

1. INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I have a Quantum 5 that's buzzing, but not everywhere. It's primarily on the A string, and somewhat on the E string. It's most noticable when fretting the 2nd fret, and gets better at about the 5th fret. I can get it to go away by raising the action, but it's too high for my taste.

I checked the relief and I believe it's fine. When holding the string at 1st and 24th frets, you can just fit a credit card under the string. The neck has no trussrod, so this appears to be a good thing...

I suspect it's fret wear, but am not sure if I've missed anything. When I look at the frets, I can definitely see more wear on them around the problem frets, starting at 2nd fret and getting better as you go up the neck. It's also more obvious on the A and E strings at these frets (wear on G and D strings is more around the 5th fret and up, but no buzzing here).

I also don't know whether I need someone with experience working on graphite necks to do any fret work, or if it's the same as a wood neck.

One final thought is that I have tapered core strings on it (with appropriate bridge height adjustment!). They're GHS Contact Core Super Steels, and the sizes are 45-65-85-106-130. I'd switch the strings if I thought it would help, so suggestions are welcome here, too. I do like the tone of the tapered cores on this bass, though.
  2. INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    So if I understand this correctly, I'll fret around fret 19 or 20 instead of the last fret (24). I'll do that when I get home tonight, though I suspect that will produce a very similar result. The neck does look pretty even overall.

They're pretty old. I'll try a new set and see how that goes.

Thanks for the reply.
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Use a dependable straight edge to test the frets. If the straight edge touches the first and third but leaves a gap at the second, your fret wear theory may hold water. Check 2,3,5 and 3,4,5 etc.

If the frets can all be redressed to correct a low fret (as in file the rest of them down) I would be comfortable allowing anyone that you would otherwise trust to do the work to work on the Q5.

If the bass actually requires a refret, I might at least contact Modulus to see if they might do the work. I think the peace of mind might be worth the extra time and money.