1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another mounting solution.

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Nathan Levine, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
  2. John Goldsby

John Goldsby Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Bassist @ WDR Big Band Cologne, Columnist — BassMagazine.com, Conservatorium Maastricht, NL
    I've used the VA 4. It works well, until it starts to rattle. It almost never rattles, but I had some experiences where I listened back to live recordings and then heard the light metal rattling. It has a couple of long screws to hold it on the body of the bass, and a circular twisty-kinda-screw-thingy that holds the thin metal piece attached to the mic capsule. There are several lightweight parts that seem to eventually loosen and start rattling, mid-performance. I would put duct tape on certain parts to stop the sympathetic rattling. I stopped using that adapter after awhile. I've never used the other adapter — VA 5 — but it looks like it clamps onto the bridge, which I also would not want. Schoeps makes incredible microphones — I use the MK41 most of the time for recording and FOH. But I'm not yet convinced by their holder/adapter systems. Hello, Schoeps?!?

3. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    Thanks for weighing in! I was hoping that someone on TB had used them out in the field at some point. Schoeps seems to be aiming for elegant and simple mic clips. Too bad they need duct tape to behave. Kinda negates the elegance factor. ;)

John Goldsby likes this.