Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another Music Downloader Topic

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by B'Aces High, May 9, 2004.

1. This has the possibility of getting wild. So please keep it civil.

I was wondering what music buyers and downloaders think about the ruling in Canada that allows music to be downloaded which passed a few weeks ago.

Personally i still buy 95% of my music...and im eagerly awaiting some new music supposed to be out this summer by some of my favorite bands.
    I will admit that i have downloaded music...but its limited to music that isnt in print anymore and you cant find on albums cause they have been discontinued.

Thoughts about Canada's ruling from both sides?

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hmmm.... very interesting. For those of us Luddites who don't turn on the TV a lot, can you please explain what that ruling is exactly? Are you allowed to download any music from anywhere, or are there limitations?

3. Here is the story here.

"Sharing copyrighted works on peer-to-peer networks is legal in Canada, a federal judge ruled on Wednesday, handing the record industry a sharp setback in its international fight against file swappers."

http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-5182641.html

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm going to break into some art galleries and museums this weekend and steal a bunch of art. I've always wanted a Picasso, or better yet, a Miro, but I've never been able to come up with the money to afford one. So I guess I have to steal it. Who wants to join me in this espianage?

5. My view on this is that the ruling is good. I download music but 99.9% of the time I download music from a band that was recommended through word of mouth or reviews. Bands that dont get play on the radio. I download to see if i like the music and if i do I go and buy the cd. With the record industry suing everyone downloading music I stopped downloading for the most part so guess what I stopped buying cds for the most part. I used to buy 3-4 cds per week now I am down to like 3-4 per year because I am not going to run out and buy cds from a band I have never heard and they only want to push the 5 bands on the radio at any given time. Personally I think that the record companies are going to keep biting the hands that feed them till they dont get any more feed and go away and die... or at least I hope so.

6. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I'm pro file-sharing. It's a great way to find out about new bands that I otherwise wouldn't take the chance on by buying their CD. I still buy CDs though, because I believe in supporting the bands I listen to. And the only way to do it is buy merch and go to the shows.

7. The thing is not everybody buys CDs as well.
    A lot of my friends download full CDs and just burn them.

8. Yeah I understand that some people dont buy cds as well. But if you look at cd sale numbers downloading music hasnt hurt the sales. it has stayed about the same because for everyone who downloaded music that wouldnt buy anything there were people who were discovering new good bands and running out and buying their music.

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You're kidding, right? CD sales have slumped upwards of 10-20%.

10. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    It's a matter of integrity and love for bands. I listen to alot of bands that aren't exactly popular by mainstream definitions. I want those bands to be around for a long time so I will end up buying at least something from them. When I do download songs without the intention of ever buying the CD, it's usually because I need to learn the songs for my band and I don't have much of a love for it.

Maybe people that have quit buying CDs do not really care about the bands. Maybe they are indifferent to the music they're listening to. Maybe they would listen to band y just as happily as band x.

11. Where have you got that info? I have read in numerous articles that cd sales did not drop off. they have remained constant. Now I have read that the record companies said that the sales were lower then what they were projecting for the time frame. Also you have to look at the econmy during all of this with recession and all of that.

12. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I think record companies and manufactured pop acts are the ones most affected by file-sharing. Have bands really been hurt by it? If so, I'd like to see some evidence.

13. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Eer noticed the prices of CD's lately? The dropping 10-20% could possibly be due to the price.

14. I was kinda hoping to focus more on the thoughts of the ruling.
    But its good people are talking :)

15. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I'm in favor of the ruling untill CD prices go down. Too bad it's not that way in the U.S.

16. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, it does suck to have to be paying the record companies for a) their ridiculous attempts at copy protection, and b) their outlay of tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees for going after 14 year old kids who download music. Honestly, it's getting to the point where I don't want to buy any more CD's, just on principle. From that standpoint, I agree that the Canadian ruling is a good one. From a functional standpoint, that would be the same as making a photocopy of a few pages of a book and giving it to one of your friends for his/her personal use.

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Probably the biggest reason why I support Legal Downloading a la iTunes is because on average albums are $10, regardless of how long they are.

I buy so much music now because, thru iTunes, it's cheap!

I just got a great album "stravinsky:Music for four hands" Features Sonata, concerto and The Rite of Spring.

I love Stravinsky, and this album is totally awesome, and it was only $6!!

I got some albums at tower records a couple weeks ago, cost me $28 for two albums! grrrr.

18. :spit:

I agree on the principle standpont I hate the record industry I would do everything I could to boycot them if it wouldnt hurt the artists as well. Honestly I think of the record industry in the same light as the mob. Did you know when Blank Cds are sold the recording industry gets some of the money. They are a bunch of thieves.

19. Who here hasn't copied a CD or song off the radio onto a cassette? It's the same issue in a nutshell, only the internet makes it more efficient, available, and of better quality. However, it still has trade-offs such as the booklet, audio quality, etc.