1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another Mystery Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Neverender, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Neverender

Neverender

Mar 26, 2009
    Argh, I hate to bring up another one of these, but this bass has me at my wits end!

So, my friend, co-worker, and band mate has a couple random oddball instruments in his house that we've tracked down the history of, but he has P-bass of unknown origin that has us scratching our heads. I will post the album, and you can peruse the pictures and below the link I will list all the little quirks I can think of that may not be visible in the pictures like weight/small details.

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a55/Gedevo/P-bass/

Body:
    -The body is very heavy, we didn't have a scale to weigh it on, but its quite heavy. At least 10 pounds.
    -Also, the body looks as if it was cut in half and slapped together at some point, the cut runs through the whole body.
    -On the back right where the neck is bolted down there is a sticker, the model number is scratched all the way off, and the serial number is something along the lines of:
    7x926001 (x being a random number)
    -And I have no idea what kind of wood was used, but it feels VERY thick, and stable, and it has a nice wood grain in person.
    Bridge:
    -The bridge was replaced, there are slight indents in the wood around the new bridge that are only slightly visible in the picture. Looks like the old school wide fender bridge was sitting there. The bridge on there is just an older Badass Bridge.
    -There are also holes where the screws went for the old bridge.

Neck:
    -The neck is very chunky, I really can't tell what woods were used, but the neck and the fretboard are two different types for sure.
    -The fretboard is glossed, but not very well, and the frets seem only decently dressed.
    -I am VERY hard pressed to believe this is the original neck, the wood seems way different, in looks, feel, and quality. And like the wood, just the overall build quality is botched on the neck. In addiction its also generic, no names or markings, a small sticker that says Reinforced adjustable neck, Taiwan.
    -The tuners have no apparent brand and are very rusted and dinged up.

We can't figure this thing out, it also looks like someone took a nice P-body from somewhere, messed up or lost the neck, and slapped on some random cheapo neck, but the fact that the body is cut in half kind of nicks that idea.

The goal is to get rid of the neck, replace it with a Geddy jazz, maple blocked neck (if it fits, we haven't done the measuring) and maybe making it a reverse P/J. But we want to know what we are cutting into before we do it, out of curiosity's sake.

Anyhow, sorry this post is long, and any help is great, but it no one knows, then oh well, still gonna chop this thing to a great sound.

OH and I can't attest to the sound of the bass yet, I was going to bring it by our practice space just so I could get a sound for the pups, but the action on this neck is rediculous, its raised almost an inch high near the base of the neck, where it connects to the body, and we didin't have time to dig into the guts of the bass to see if we could find the origins of the electronics.

Thanks again!:D

2. fitzy73

fitzy73

Mar 1, 2008
    looks like a vintage ibanez or aria ,had a ibanezs jazz from the 70s the truss rod access area looks the same

3. Neverender

Neverender

Mar 26, 2009
    Hmm thanks for the heads up Fitzy, was thinking that it could have been a clone from say Aria or Ibanez, but I still don't know for sure.

Did those 70's era knock offs have blank headstocks and such though?

The body is the only piece, as well as the pickups/electronic hardware that seem original, so maybe the neck broke and was swapped with a quick cheapo.

Can you attest to the sound of these 70's era Ibanezes? (if it even is one maybe someone else has a clue)?

4. Neverender

Neverender

Mar 26, 2009
    Hate to do this, but bump

5. Neverender

Neverender

Mar 26, 2009
    At the very least, anyone know if the neck is original?

6. Neverender

Neverender

Mar 26, 2009
    Alright, this will be my last bump as no one seems to take an interest in it, or seems to know anything about it except the previous poster whom I'd like to thank again!

I need to ask my friend when he got the bass, and if the badass bridge was on it when he got it, cause for all I know the bridge could be a 20 odd year original.

7. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    what's stamped in the pocket, and on the heel or base
    of the neck? Anything?

8. Neverender

Neverender

Mar 26, 2009
    BAH, I knew it I was missing something Mrdak, thanks for that, next time I see him we need to check that out, but from all outside appearances, there is nothing that seems to give is origin away.

A quick question to you, I was looking at some older fender picks on my phone at work on break, and looking back at these pics where the indents are where the old bridge used to be looks exactly like the old school fender bridge. Did Ibanez or Aria, or any of the other 'knock-offs' in the 70's+ replicated this bridge? Going to try and look it up m'self, but you may get to this faster.

I guess for any further info I am going to have to check the pocket/insert!

Thanks again Mrdak

9. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Looks like a 70's era Japanese Fender knockoff. The bridge is definitely replaced, you can see where the old bridge cover was screwed in. I missed the "body cut in half" part in the pics.
    Some of those early Fender knockoffs, knocked Fender off. Tokai's, Ibanez, come to mind. I still have a Degas Fender P knockoff that I bought in 1972 and it still is a great feeling bass, which is cool cuz all thats left original is the neck and body and bridge

10. The headstock doesn't look as accurate as some Ibanezes I've seen. Other than that, I vote no-name-but-not-bad MIJ Fender clone/copy.