1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another new bass purchase - Buyer's remorse (guilt)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cyborg, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    HAHA, gotcha!!!

PWRL likes this.
  2. Sorry for your loss, man. It always puts things in perspective.

I agree you should be saving your money.. to buy a new bass!!:D

B-Mac likes this.
  3. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

I’ve started an LLC called ‘bass guilt clearinghouse’. For a small monthly fee I’ll hold your bass in perpetuity or until your guilt goes away. Very reasonable rates relatively to the value of the bass and level of guilt.

Cyborg likes this.
  4. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    That is the way I'm trying to look at it. I fret over every non-vital purchase.

BTW: Is the Kawai in your screename for the Piano company?

5. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    No, I'm really not bragging or humblebragging. :)

I know there are folks here who cannot afford what I just bought and many who have instruments worth many times what I bought as well.

6. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I play a gig - typically once a month, where there is someone playing a Steinway on one side of me, and often a harp (not a harmonica, a real, 7 foot tall harp) on the other. Sometimes we have a cellist. When I'm surrounded by instruments that cost tens of thousands of dollars, do I feel guilty for having spent one and a half or two thousand? No. Bass guitars are (relatively) cheap instruments - even a Fodera is chump change compared with some classical instruments. If your kids have a place to sleep, food, clothes, etc, and you're not jeopardizing your retirement or anything like that, there's nothing wrong with spending a couple grand on a bass. But...don't brag about it either - the kid with the $200 Squier might be able to play circles around you.

Cyborg likes this.
  7. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    That's how I'm trying to look at it.

Afc70 likes this.
  8. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Yeah, if I'm not using it, it needs to go to someone who will use it.

9. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Oh yeah, I'm a firm believer that a kid with a $200 Squier might be able to outplay me any day of the week. Just because I have a nice bass whether it's a Fender, Lakland, EBMM SR, etc., doesn't make me any better.

10. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    No. But I usually think a purchase through before I buy it.

I don't understand this. I know a lot of people buy on impulse and return things, but we all pay for that. When you return it, the company now has a used instrument that they have to sell for less. Companies don't "take" a loss, they pass the loss on to the consumer.

Cyborg likes this.
  11. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    That's a good way to look at things.

Afc70 likes this.
  12. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    I'm the epitome of over analyzing a purchase. It's beyond unusual for me to buy something on impulse. My wife constantly tells, "think long, think wrong".

With that said, you are right. Free Returns are not truly "free". I don't take the stickers off the bass, throw away the hang tags, etc. until either the return period is over with or I'm 100% for certain it is staying with me to minimize the impact on the company.

13. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Denver
    Return the 4 and replace it with a SBMM.

Cyborg likes this.
  14. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Interesting perspective! Any insight on why you would recommend going that route?

15. BassAssHat

BassAssHat

Jun 14, 2019
    Brooklyn, NY
    You should be thankful that you have a nice wife!

Cyborg likes this.
  16. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    If you can afford it and got basses you love and inspire you to be a better bassist, then I don't see where that guilt is coming from. I can think of a million other things that money could have bought and not given you this kind of happiness. over 200 Hot 'N' Ready Little Caesars Pizza won't make you happy, it'll make you fat.
    Life is supposed to have it's share of bringing in what makes you happy - this is one of them, you earned it.
    It's not like the money is completely spent either, it has resale value.

Cyborg likes this.
  17. LeroyRT

LeroyRT

Aug 7, 2014
    GA
    I get that way when I spend any amount over $400 on anything except my mortgage. I don't know what it is about that number, but anything over that bothers me. I'll even spend $250 several times and won't bat an eye.

You'll forget and get over it eventually. You have two very nice basses and you're secure in your finances.

Money comes and goes. You can't take it with you, and it gets taxed when you pass it down. After all, what good are those numbers in a computer doing just sitting there?

Cyborg likes this.
  18. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Very much so!

19. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    A nice bass does and will inspire me but honestly two basses probably won't inspire me 2x. I guess the law of diminishing returns, etc.

You are also correct. This money is better spent than on 200 Lil' Caesars pizzas. Plus, I can recoup some of the money if needed, so it's not like it's completely vaporized.

Maxdusty likes this.
  20. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

no.
    00 images2b3.

OP: i'm going to guess that part of what feeds into your guilt 'cycle' is that you really don't know what you like/want! good luck finding out what suits you --- i'm sure we all hope that it's the two instruments you're purchasing. good luck with your guilt! :thumbsup:

Cyborg likes this.