1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another new bass purchase - Buyer's remorse (guilt)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cyborg, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Wow, talk about ironic. $400-$500 is about the threshold for me as well. If it's $550 I get nervous about it. Just like yourself, I'll drop a couple of $250's and it doesn't bother me. Very weird!

I'm sure I'll get over it and I can't take the money nor the basses with me. My step-grandson is a great young-budding musician and he's in love with the Stingray 5H and says that needs to go to him in our will.

LeroyRT likes this.
  2. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Denver
    Seems like you didn't feel remorse until you bought the 4 string. The foreign ray's sound and play great, I have owned several.

Cyborg likes this.
  3. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    you really don't know what you like/want!

Hmm, interesting point, maybe that's it deep down.

I'll say this I know I want a Stingray, no doubt there!

JRA likes this.
  4. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    If stuff is sitting around moldering in the closet, better to sell it and get it into the hands of someone who will actually use it.

Everything gets sold at some point, either by me or by my survivors.

I'm almost 60, not presently gigging. I have four axes, don't need them all. I'm done with any discretionary purchases of anything over $500. Best to leave that money to continue to grow in investments, or use it to pay down any debt.

Sorry to be so doom and gloom. Our youngest moved out last year and my viewpoint on getting "stuff" has changed dramatically since I was their age. (Plus, we now have a basement full of junk we are stressing out over on how to get rid of it.)

Cyborg and JRA like this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

right! and if you like it --- enough --- you'll feel less guilt. here's hoping...on all accounts! ;)

6. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Yeah, it really kicked in on the SR4 but I was feeling it on the SR5 as well, just not as strong.

I've pretty much moved to 5's at this point but I cycle back and forth between 4's and 5's, depending on who I'm working with and the music I'm working on. I finally picked up on this pattern.

I agree, the SBMM are very nice. I had a Ray35 years ago and it was a great instrument. The weight killed me and within two months my shoulder said no more.

7. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Not doom and gloom at all. That's the reality of living in the world.

I agree on stuff sitting around (beyond basses). That's why I usually only have 1-2 basses these days.

Getting partially sidetracked:
    My wife and I have been purging a lot of stuff over the past several years (we are both packrats by nature). After my father in law and various aunts/uncles have passed away and needing to go through tons of stuff that no one wants and had no value (not even sentimental) has changed both of our perspectives. My MIL has furniture upstairs at her house from the 1940's onward. She won't get rid of it, flat out refuses. So when she passes someone will either get it for free or it will go to the dump because it smells so badly.

My wife decided to start getting rid of some of her things she used to collect as a hobby. She asked everyone in the family if they wanted them for free (some were valuable). Everyone said no, including our daughter. She gave some of them to her hairstylist and a lady she knows. Our adult daughter blew a gasket when she found out, saying those were supposed to be for her when the time comes. She was the one who vehemently said "no, I absolutely don't want that junk". Crazy girl.

five7 and Coolhandjjl like this.
  8. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Denver
    I had a sub 4 earlier this year and was amazed, plus it was under 9 lbs. I have 2 USA sterling 5's that I normally play. Picked up the 4 for those few times. Ended up not really playing it much and let it go.

9. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Very true!

I think the SR5 is going to be a keeper for certain.

I guess I'll get that SR4 tomorrow and then go from there. I'll pretty much will know if it's something I like and want fairly quickly. Either the like/want will overpower the guilt or it won't. LoL

JRA likes this.
  10. I used to have a Kawai KRB bass, solid koa body and graphite neck. MIJ and a phenomenal bass. I wanted to have a screen name with it, and mated it up with David Carradine's name from "Kung Fu".

Audius Loudus and Cyborg like this.
  11. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    I asked because my acoustic piano is a Kawai. I'm a big fan of their pianos!

12. LeroyRT

LeroyRT

Aug 7, 2014
    GA
    Ha, that is an odd coincidence!

But you can use the basses now. :) If you end up not liking the SR4, sell it. Won't be a big loss either.

Cyborg likes this.
  13. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    It’s still far cheaper than owning a boat and basses have residual value. Feel no guilt.

Afc70, Nebula24 and Cyborg like this.
  14. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I work hard for my money. If my bills are paid and my kids are fed and clothed, I never feel bad about spending money on myself.

Cyborg likes this.
  15. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Only guilt I have had about buying a bass is the last one I bought. I didn't need it and worse, I'm pretty sure the person who sold it used the money to feed an addiction as I saw them just hours later after buying it and they were zoned out of their head and sweating profusely on stage with very dilated pupils that they put on sunglasses to hide behind.

No one else on stage was sweating or wearing sunglasses including myself. And this person couldn't click with the rest of us at all musically. Whereas hours earlier he and I jammed for 30 minutes on stuff we had never played together and we nailed it.

Something was definitely amiss and I haven't heard from them in over a week now.

My gut feeling was don't buy it but I did anyway. Next time when dealing with this person I think I better go with my gut. That can be hard to do at times because they are a lifelong friend and like family.

16. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Oh yeah, my brother is into his boat. He loves it and spends time and money on it. While I enjoy spending time on the lake etc., I think boats are not for me. If you love them, enjoy them!

17. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    I agree 100%. I guess I'm feeling guilty that maybe I overindulged.

18. Col Pruse

Col Pruse Supporting Member

May 28, 2003
    Savannah, GA
    I bought a new bass a few months ago after playing the same one for 3 years. I don't feel guilty that I bought, because I wanted a new bass and saved for it. I do feel guilty about not playing my old one. Feels so good when I do play it. So, did I really need a new bass?

NikkiVibes and Cyborg like this.
  19. JohnDL

JohnDL

Apr 27, 2019
    West Wales, UK
    I know how you feel. I few months ago I bought a Chinese made Squier Classic Vibe 60s. I'd waited for this bass to appear on eBay because I'd read many times that the Chinese made versions of this bass are very highly regarded. I bought it then 5 minutes later someone listed a 1984 Japanese made Squier Jazz for a very good starting price. I ended up buying that as well and they're both fantastic in my opinion. However, I felt very guilty although I don't really want to sell either of them at the moment. It seems to me that you use your basses, you like your basses, you can afford the basses so why not forgive yourself and maybe promise yourself to think more carefully before you buy the next one. Anyhow, it's your money and you can do whatever you darn well like with it and buying basses is a very sensible way of spending money in my view. Helping to keep various people employed as well. I could go on but won't bore you any longer. Best of luck with the basses mate.:thumbsup:
    I

Cyborg likes this.
  20. zubrycky

zubrycky

Aug 22, 2011
    I collect basses. So, guilt is an unknown emotion to me.

Cyborg likes this.