1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another new bass purchase - Buyer's remorse (guilt)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cyborg, Sep 9, 2019.

1. mattj1stc

mattj1stc Gold Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Dallas, TX USA
    I can view the original post through 2 lenses. When I got back into playing bass (and music in general) after a long break, I was in a radically new position financially. I had enough money to indulge in all of the purchases I wanted to make (I had limits, but they were more about what I thought something was inherently worth). At one point, I had at least 14 basses, several amps and a pile pedals. Basically, if there was something from my youth that I wanted back then but couldn't afford, I got one to try it out. I also got to build a few basses and try some of the latest and greatest at that time.

This was pretty satisfying for a while, but over time, I started to see my collection as kind of wasteful. I mean, how often are you really going to play your #14 bass? I began to think that my #whatever piece of gear might be someone else's #1, so maybe I should sell it and let the gear find its rightful owner.

Another driving force was practicality. I found myself using the same gear over and over again whenever I played with others, so anything that didn't meet this standard of utility went down in the rankings and ultimately got sold.

I ended up with one bass, one pedal, one DI, one head and one cabinet. I'm happy, but I think that I needed to own all the other stuff to get here.

GrooverMcTube and Cyborg like this.
  2. yours is a victimless crime. conscience be damned! buy another bass!

Cyborg likes this.
  3. Scott Loveless

Scott Loveless Supporting Member

May 3, 2019
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    That just leads to regret...

4. Nebula24

Nebula24

Nov 23, 2017
    Norman, OK
    I think it still feels weird even if it's cheap basses. 2 years of playing and just got a 2nd. Wanted to try other strings or mod my 1st one more and still have bass to play while its apart. Money isnt an issue. Probably good to have purchase doubt to make sure one doesn't go overboard. Strangely didn't feel weird buying 2 small practice amps.

Also felt weird buying an entry level mountain bike from real company vs junk bike.

Ah well I got over it. :)

Cyborg likes this.
  5. I usually limit myself to 2 purchases per year, but I try to make them count. In January this year, I initiated contact on a Spector NS-6H2 and a Carl Thompson Semi-Frills Fretless 6. I received the Spector already. The CT probably won't be completed until March/April 2020.

But completely unexpectedly, an electric guitar I GASed for became available and I jumped on it.

Last week, I realized I need to upgrade/modernize my amp setup. I have an older Ampeg setup that served me extremely well over the years. I just can't carry the 87lb cabinet as easily as when I was younger. Therefore, I plan to upgrade to a Bergantino setup. Most likely a used head Forte/ForteHP/B|Amp and either a HG410 or HDN410. I also need the feature of plugging in my iPhone and practicing with headphones, to avoid bothering anyone at home.

Cyborg likes this.
  6. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Oh my, that is exactly the way I think and feel when I have multiple basses as well.

7. brushfirewolf

brushfirewolf Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    Yes- with literally every bass I’ve spend over $1000 on, which is why I no longer own anything in that price range.

Cyborg likes this.
  8. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    After lugging around an Eden Metro and extension cabinet for several years, I got over lusting for heavy stuff real quick.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  9. The Ampeg cabinet I'm using is just an SVT-1510HE (at 87Lbs). I have no idea how players manage transporting an 8X10 cabinet, unless they're in a fortunate position to have roadies.

Cyborg likes this.
  10. Go for it! I retired from the Air Force 4 years ago. My kids are grown and I'm a happy bachelor. Do I need to play a new Stingray through a new Mesa with 10 news pedals? Nope. I suck. But it's my money and my life. It makes me happy and I deserve to be happy. I could buy a Corvette, but gear makes me happier.

Now, if you will excuse me. I'm going to peruse Sweetwater. I don't have a jazz bass at the moment and that makes me unhappy.

Cyborg likes this.
  11. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Yeah, at one point I had numerous basses, guitars and amps. It was dumb for me and I always had analysis paralysis. I ended simplifying my setup completely. I stopped playing the guitar, sold most of my basses and concentrated on my piano lessons at the time.

I've been using one bass and one amp probably for about 6 years. If I get a new bass, the old one leaves. This led me to trying to buy a swiss army knife bass to cover most my desires in one bass (Lakland 55-02, PJ's). The one thing I kept wanting was the Stingray tone and I'm not fully happy with the SR tone from the Lakland.

mattj1stc and NoSlapForYou like this.
  12. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Keep both. Which would you have in your hand the money or the the Bass? Try to be happy with habitual and if you’re not sell one

Cyborg likes this.
  13. If it were me, I'd camp out with the Lakland and the Stingray, but do what is best for you, and make music

Cyborg likes this.
  14. I'd rather feel guilty over buying expensive instruments than be in my situation (where I can only afford a $600 instrument by paying in installments).

Also, were there any pics of the basses in this thread? I want to live vicariously through you, but I need pics for that.

Cyborg likes this.
  15. Robscott

Robscott

Mar 20, 2017
    Tonbridge UK
    If you want someone to make you feel better, you're on the wrong site

Cyborg likes this.
  16. SleepyShark

SleepyShark

Feb 28, 2018
    The Low End
    Late to the party, but as long as you aren't putting monthly bills, children, a spouse, retirement saving, etc. in jeopardy... have your fun.

If the guilt is self imposed, ask yourself why you feel guilty.

Cyborg likes this.
  17. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I look back fondly on those days when I only had 4 or 5 basses...

Cyborg likes this.
  18. mattj1stc

mattj1stc Gold Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Dallas, TX USA
    For me, the "swiss army knife" turned out to be the bass in my avatar. It's a Lakland Skyline 55-64. It's completely stock except for the pickguard of course. I use the Kalium balanced strings with the 150 B string. I also use a pretty flat/transparent amp that I feed with a VT Bass Delux pedal. I have a REDDI for when I need to go direct. That's it really. Anyway, I did really find the Lakland design, especially the necks, to fit me well.

Cyborg likes this.
  19. In my teens/early 20's with little to no income, I only had an Ibanez SR885 as my main bass. I always received compliments on it, either via recordings & live performances.

It wouldn't be until 2010 when I decided to get back into music again and started buying new stuff.

Cyborg and mapleglo like this.
  20. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    All through the 70's and early 80's I had one bass, a Ric. Like you, it's only recently - the last 7 years or so, that I started getting back into it and buying and building a bunch of basses. Oddly enough, I could probably sell all but 2 of my Ric 5 strings and be pretty happy. I don't know that I can bring myself to do it though.

Cyborg and TolerancEJ like this.