1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another new bass purchase - Buyer's remorse (guilt)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cyborg, Sep 9, 2019.

1. I'm more of an instrument hoarder. I only sold one bass and amp to raise money to move from East Coast to West Coast of Canada. Little guilt at the time, but I already realized the limitations of my first bass to warrant buying the Ibanez.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Cyborg and mapleglo like this.
  2. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Never. I only by tools that I need, not what I fancy.

This post got me to thinking, as bassists, do you consider yourself a brand? What I mean is, I have a core sound that is almost universal. I play the same gear, the same EQ, same strings, and I have never had anybody in the last 40 years ( correction the EB3 era of the early 70s was somewhat problematic) say your sound doesn’t fit. Anyway, consequently, I don’t feel the need for a lot of Basses.

Cyborg likes this.
  3. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Recently, I've started hoarding guitars. A couple of Strats and a Telecaster, and a couple of Ovation acoustics. It's a sickness...

Cyborg, TolerancEJ and groooooove like this.
  4. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    Nope. Because I only buy if I can afford and then and only then if the boss (my wife) greenlights it. Would be pretty hard to enjoy something with the guilt that would come without satisfying these two conditions.

Cyborg likes this.
  5. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i feel guilty when I know right away "this isint for me"

maybe not guilty... but annoyed i guess.

enjoy the stingray specials, they're amazing.

basses are nice because you can always re-sell them later for the money. not the worst way to keep your money tied up.

Cyborg likes this.
  6. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    This is the wrong place to fish for sympathy lol.

Cyborg likes this.
  7. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Besides, money can always be replaced. :) A few modifications done to this chart to make it applicable.

5balls.

TolerancEJ and Cyborg like this.
  8. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    Enjoy your new basses. You probably deserve them.

For a long time I only owned two basses. In the past year or two I've bought six more. I don't feel guilty about owning so many, but at times I do think it is a bit ridiculous. I plan to sell the two that I hardly play any more, but I'll probably still occasionally feel that I have too many.

Cyborg likes this.
  9. Copperhead

Copperhead Still creakin' around. Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Tennessee
    I was going to say who or what in your past is guilting you over spending your own money ? By your own admission there is no irresponsibility involved.

Cyborg likes this.
  10. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    Sounds to me like you’re checking in with yourself pretty seriously, and asking yourself the important questions.
    It doesn’t sound like the purchases are a hardship. Speaking for myself, I’d be more concerned if I wasn’t wondering about the new acquisition.
    Sometimes it’s okay to be a little uncomfortable!

Cyborg likes this.
  11. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    There's only a handful of reasons to feel guilty about having a few too many basses. One would be if you literally stole them or stole the money to buy them. Another would be if you have dependents that are going without necessities because you bought those basses. Otherwise, just play'em and enjoy them. Life's too short to "fret" over little things.

Cyborg likes this.
  12. Bartrinsic

Bartrinsic Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2018
    San Diego
    Do continue your efforts to reign in the trigger finger (I'm trying!), but now that you've done the deed, you owe it to these fine instruments and the builders to give them a chance to shine. I remember feeling guilty about two purchases (due to timing and price), and those are now my main players. They've replaced other basses, which were 'smarter', 'better-timed' purchases. On the other hand, the purchase that I have the most regrets about in hindsight seemed like a 'steal' at the time. This is just to add to your complicated predicament. It will be impossible to determine if you guilt is warranted until you've played the basses for at least 3 months. I am trying to learn from my less-wise purchases, but not making mistakes has never been an option.

Cyborg likes this.
  13. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    I've thought about that option as well and it's not completely off the table but the least likely option.

14. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Ah, that makes me feel bad. I haven't posted any pics, yet.

15. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    I can accept that.

Robscott likes this.
  16. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    No damage to any of the situations you have listed.

I don't know why I feel the guilt. I'm sure it's something deeply rooted or something completely irrational without a real source.

17. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    I don't really even want to go back to 4 or 5 basses again but your point is well taken!

18. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    I've done the P only approach albeit only the 4 version. It's definitely more versatile than many bassists think. I didn't like the various P5's I've tried over the years as I didn't care for the B string tone in general but I've never tried the Lakland 55-64. I used a P exclusively for a few years but it's not what I want these days.

mattj1stc likes this.
  19. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    No theft involved either direction and family obligations are met. I like the attitude of just play'em!

20. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Yeah, timing and costs doesn't equal bass happiness. I got a great deal on a bass one time and I didn't like it one bit and couldn't move it out fast enough. Sometimes you just don't know about these things.