1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another new bass purchase - Buyer's remorse (guilt)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cyborg, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    I have the greenlight on both fronts but I still have the guilt, oh well, I will get over it.

Frodolicious, TolerancEJ and 2112 like this.
  2. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Oh yeah, that is a guilty/annoying feeling. Not quite the same type of guilt but I know that feeling.

Yeah, I can always resell later on if needed.

groooooove likes this.
  3. Almost everything I buy is used or on sale, so I feel I can get my money out of it if I sell it. Or at least lose little enough that it feels like a good rate renting for the time I had it. I have had some buyers remorse, mainly just "I didn't really need this, I should have thought it through", but I also know I didn't overspend, that takes some of the sting out of it. :unsure:

4. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Yeah, I know that, LOL.

5. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    That chart is very much the truth.

6. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Ironically, when I owned 6 basses and 4 guitars, I had 0 guilt about it. It was ridiculous for me but that was 15-20 years ago.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  7. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    I don't know the answer. Maybe it's just being an adult thinking, hey I might need this money for an emergency.

8. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Thanks! That actually makes perfect sense to me.

NG51 likes this.
  9. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    That's usually my approach. I have bought new basses in the past but usually they are used and a good deal. There has been several SR Specials in the classifieds that were good deals asking to be had. I decided against them this time was different because I was thinking if I was going to drop new $2k on a bass(es) that it needed to be the weight and the color I wanted.

LowActionHero likes this.
  10. Basically Bob

Basically Bob Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Simcoe, Ontario
    I haven’t felt “guilty” or shame in buying anything ... ever.

Cyborg likes this.
  11. I have a Korean Peavey neck on my P bass. I’ve been dreaming of putting a Fender Jazz neck on it since, well, as long as I've had it.

Won an eBay auction today. It should be here Saturday. I have the cash, set aside gear fund, but I still feel guilty. No other important amp or accessory purchases needed ATM.

But I still feel guilty because the Peavey neck is just fine. I’ve been looking at Fender necks online for a long time, I figure this was the only way to stop myself from window shopping- do some real shopping! :roflmao:

Cyborg likes this.
  12. I’d like you to know your post led me to pull the trigger on a neck I’ve been wanting for a while. So... thank you?
    ;)

Cyborg and Pizza1988 like this.
  13. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Man you got two killer Basses and as you say.... you can afford them. Then enjoy them. Play them, hold them..... look at them.... take pictures of them and then play them again. No need for remorse. You didn’t steal cookies from blind children. You purchased musical instruments with your own money.... and you are a musician. Regardless of how often you do or don’t play outside of your home with other musicians. Irrelevant. Enjoy.... smile....

Cyborg likes this.
  14. Nice! Hope you enjoy it!

**Not responsible for financial reimbursement due to positive outlook on life and support of expensive hobbies**
    :D

Cyborg likes this.
  15. Col Pruse

Col Pruse

May 28, 2003
    Savannah, GA
    Played the old bass last night and it felt/sounded really good compared to my newer bass. Now this morning I'm kinda wanting to sell on the new bass. Dang internet!

NikkiVibes and Cyborg like this.
  16. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I do feel a guilt of opulence when I think back to when I started bass and saved for a long time to get my first real bass and then my "amp" was a very budget Crate 115. Now I've flipped through quite a few buy / sell / upgrade cycles and have a pretty nice collection of gear. My "wants" are pretty small - an SVT, but that's too impractical to really consider. I'd llke to get a Sadowsky 4 string mainly because I've always wanted one. My regrets of things I didn't purchase are small - I should have bought that Peavy 5 string for the kid at Guitar Center, but I didn't know how without making his father feel bad. The kid was actually good. I hope he found a bass somewhere else. I miss the Modulus Flea 5 that I sold, but it wasn't being played much.

GrooverMcTube and Cyborg like this.
  17. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Yeah, I've never done a neck swap (thought about though) but wouldn't go through for the exact same reason.

I hope the neck swap fulfills your dreams of having the neck you want!

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  18. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    I like your thoughts on the matter!

armybass likes this.
  19. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    We have the same type of mindset. It's probably a good thing overall (keeps us in check) but very frustrating as well.

20. Neck swapping is the bread and butter (but also the curse) of the “P bass with a J neck” player. You can get a PJ, or an active bass, or spend $1k+ on a custom build; but to get a good old P bass with an “A” neck on an MIM budget- it’s neck swappin’ time! :thumbsup:

Some of the guilt is wearing off today, now I’m just anxious and excited for it to arrive! :hyper:

I hope you can find joy in your new basses :D

Cyborg likes this.