Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another new Bass, sort of

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan L., Mar 11, 2006.

1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, not for me. :meh:

I went to my local store this morning, with the intention of buying a Boss ME50B (which I did), and came home with a present for my 5 year old daugher.

She has been totally intrigued by my basses for the past couple of years, and has constantly asked for one of her own. After going through a few of the Wal-Mart special "toy" guitars, she finally has a real bass of her own.

It isn't anything fancy, but it really made her day when we took it out of the box. It is a J. Reynolds short scale (29 3/4) P Bass copy. I have never heard of them before, but it was about the perfect size for kids (my 9 and 11 year olds think it's pretty cool as well), and the price was right.

I am just stoked that my kids are showing an interest in music, so I will support it in any way that I can.

I'll get a couple of pics up of her with it shortly.

2. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Awesome!

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Good on ya', Dad! :smug: Get 'em started early.

4. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, she has been having quite a bit of fun with it since I gave it to her this morning.

Funny thing is, it really doesn't play bad at all. And it has a pretty convincing P Bass sound. Only problem is that I haven't been able to get her to unplug it from my practice amp, and I have a new toy that I would like to play with now.:bawl:

I guess I need to get another amp for home use.:)

5. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Look at it this way... you have a daughter that wants to study the low end theory, and it gives you more reason to buy more gear! :ninja:

6. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Sort of a win/win situation, I think.

I went back to the store and picked a stand up for her, too, because she was all concerned that she had no place to put it, and was dead set that it had to sit by Dad's basses.

It's been a pretty fun (and noisy) day around here.

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

That's cool. I want to get my nephew (2 years old) into some more serious music because he loves music. He has a little drum set (not very good, good for making noise, not music), a guitar that doesn't really play real notes (also good for making only noise) and a couple little keyboards which only play the "white notes". I want him to get a real instrument that can play real music but I dont know what instrument. My sister (his mother) wants him to get a guitar, but I think he's too young. I know that at around 2 years old, drums are actually an instrument that a kid can start playing. It's a tough question.