Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another New Bass Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shaunze, Jan 8, 2006.

1. shaunze

shaunze

Apr 6, 2004
    Astoria Oregon
    So I've been playing bass for about a year and a half on a used peavey, and i think it's about time to step it up. I want a bass that sounds nice, but i'm not scared to play, ya know? I want a bass that will give me lots of tonal options, and sound good doing them, but I want to be able to beat on it too. I play anything and everything, and i'm not afraid to do some mod's if needed. I don't care what it looks like, so long as it is functional and playable. any suggestions? My budget ends at $600, but i would like to spend as little as possible, so i'm good with used gear.

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    "Can't sleep, bass'll eat me" :D

Try playing a MIM or used MIA Fender Jazz . Easy to mod in terms of availability of pickups, electronics, hardware, etc., and you can never go wrong with a Jazz bass.

3. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    G&L Tribute no mods necessary.

4. shaunze

shaunze

Apr 6, 2004
    Astoria Oregon
    G&L tribute or a used G&L were on my mind, but the neck size of the L-2000 kinda made me not like it, and the price of a used asat is a little past what i'm lookin for. And a jazz is what i was thinking of as well! I guess i had a fairly good idea of what was available for what i want, but i was just seeing if there was anything else that i hadn't heard of or seen, which i'm pretty sure someone will bring something up.

5. I've heard lots of good things about the Yamaha BB series and they're within your price range.

6. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    I would say a nice BC Rich NJ series would be nice.... they have active pickups and great tone.

but they may scare you (or others) :D

7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    [​IMG]

:D:D:D

-Mark

8. shaunze

shaunze

Apr 6, 2004
    Astoria Oregon
    haha, funny guys, funny. i was looking at the active BB, looked pretty nice. What about a MIJ squire jazz, and then replace the pups with sd's, and the bridge. Would it be comparable to, say, the yamaha BB's?

9. Ibanez has great basses available in your price range. SR40X and SR50X, as well as the BTB40X series of basses are great bang for the buck. I have an SR406, and I think it's one of the best (if not, THE best) budget 6 string available.

-ryan-

10. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Lakland 44-01 or 55-01 used? Maybe the xx-02 if you can get it that low...