Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another New Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jstiel, Sep 5, 2004.

1. jstiel

jstiel Jim Stiel

Jun 5, 2004
    Lake Orion, MI
    Just got a new bass. It’s a plywood Wilfer I bought from Steve at bassesonline.com. It’s the nicest laminated bass I’ve ever seen and the sound is great, even with the Chromcor strings that came on it. I was going to change them to some Spirocores or Jazzers but now I’m not so sure. With the action set low, the Chromcors have loads of sustain and feel pretty good with lots of nice growl. It has a focused sound and the E string has some body to it.

I had my friend and fellow bass player Charlie Stephens in Port Huron install some adjusters, bring the nut down, take the varnish of the back of the neck and put a tailpiece cable on it. He thought it was very well constructed. It has a nice varnish finish that’s kind of a satin with beautiful grain. It’s not like a lot of the basses you see with the sprayed on lacquer with all the pigment that hides the wood. It’s got more of a carved look to it. Its all ebony trimmed including ebony pieces along the sides where the neck meets the body which is a nice touch I thought.

It has a 41.5” string length and seems to have the same dimensions as the Number 10 Wilfer on the Lemur site. The neck and tuners look identical to the 10.

All in all, a very nice sounding and playing instrument with good looks as a bonus – a nice step up from my Kay.

I was a little hesitant to buy a bass over the internet but I figured for that price, if I didn’t like it, I could resell it locally (Steve encourages buyers to come by the shop but as I live in Michigan, it’s a bit of a trip to NYC). I’m happy to report Steve is for real and was a real pleasure to deal with.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Congrats!

3. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    + 1

congrats as well