Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another New Combo Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by triggert, May 8, 2005.

1. triggert

triggert

Feb 5, 2005
    I'm in the market for a new combo amp. I'm gonna be jamming with full drum set, at least one guitarist, and vocals playing mostly emo/rock/punk type music. I'm looking at the following at American Musical (don't have the money to pay for it up front so I'm gonna use their payment plan).

Ashdown Electric Blue Bass Amp (15 Inch, 180 Watts) $349
    Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp (12 Inch, 50 Watts) $389
    Ashdown MAG C115T Bass Amp (15 Inch, 300 Watts) $429
    Fender Bassman 150 Bass Amp (12 Inch with Horn, 150 Watts) $429
    Roland Cube 100 Bass Amp (12 Inch, 100 Watt) $445
    SWR Workingmans 12 Bass Amp (12 Inch with Tweeter, 100 Watts) $499

I'd like to get off as cheap as I could but if have to spend the extra $50 bucks for something thats not gonna fall apart (I'll be packing it all over the place) and sound good it would be worth it in the long haul.

Thanks,
    Trigg

2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Youre going to want as many watts and speaker area as possible. Combos generally dont cut it, but it can be done. You mentioned the Mag115, any chance you could spring for the 410?

OTOH, I bet you could get a good cheap head (Maybe even the Ashdown one?) *Big Ashdown fan here!* and an Avatar cab, either a 410 or 212 for you budget. You Americans get all the toys. :D

Jack.

3. triggert

triggert

Feb 5, 2005
    The C410T is a bit outta my range, its running just below $600. Probably the closet I could get would be the C210T right at $500 and thats pushing it like I said. As far as Ashdown goes I'd really considered the C115T but then I've heard the horror stories about all the problems so now I just don't know.

Trigg

4. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Avatar has a 115 cabinet with tweeter & available Hartke 2000 200watt head (@ 4 ohms). The cab is $239 (neo-so it's lightweight to boot) and the head is $197. Get the 4 ohm version to give you full power. Whole rig should be at the upper end of your budget, but your sound should be bigger than with any of these combos. They have an Ashdown Mag 300 head that would be better if you can stretch a little farther financially. I believe the address is avatarspeakers.com-
    Good Luck from Las Vegas!!! :eyebrow:

5. triggert

triggert

Feb 5, 2005
    Looks like some really good deals, I'll be getting something from there for sure. If I get this Mag 300H and B115H NEO what ohm am I gonna need to get for these items? Sorry, a little new to all this speaker stuff. The only speaker setup I ever had was 2 12" JL Audios in my car! :bag:

Trigg

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    If youre definately only going to use the one cabinet, get the 40hm version.

Try the 'Ohms FAQ' in the stickied thread on this page.

7. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I've got a peavey tnt 115 thats rated at 150 watts @ 4 ohms. New they are around 465$, but i play with 2 guitarists with 2x12 120 watt combo amps and a drummer, and it cuts through. If you can try a tnt out great amp, though a little heavey. It does take some time to get a good tone out of it but it isn't that difficult. Like i said i play with 2 guitarists and a drummer and it cuts through like nobodys buisness.

I'd definetley check it out if i were you.

8. If you think buying a bass sight-unseen on Ebay is a risk, it's even riskier to buy a used combo there. BUT, I like taking risks and would recommend buying used, through Ebay, pawnshops or similiar. Here's an example of a good deal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10171&item=7320786989&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Nemesis 212 combo. I have one and it absolutely rocks. The new ones have more power, but mine has the "lesser" power and it cuts through the mix with no effort and has a superb tone. The 2 12's are very clear and punchy, similiar in response to SWR super redhead, but ten times more powerful (well, maybe not that much).

9. Ill point out peavey bass stuffs, they may not be as nice sonuding as some other brands, but they are fairly cheap, and built like tanks :)