1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another new guy... more strings than sense

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Tekkers, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Tekkers

Tekkers

Dec 16, 2018
    GMT
    Good morning chaps, long-time lurker here, thought I may as well sign up so I can participate in discussions rather than just reading them.

Got started on bass when I was thirteen (I’m now a fair bit older than that...) and I’ve been in and out of bands ever since. Also dual-badged as a guitarist but the low-end is my main focus. Currently playing in a mathy rock band which gives me the excuse to over-play to my heart’s content.

First picked up a six-string (Ibanez SR506) a few years back and we’ve been inseparable ever since. As anyone who has played one will probably know, it’s a pure workhorse and has never let me down.

Six is my minimum... but having tried a seven and not really taken to it, I moved up to eight strings (single-course) and that’s where I’m at right now. It’s actually a converted Harley Benton seven, with a bit of work done to facilitate adding an extra string... Actually works grand, great for partial chords up high, suits the two-handed tapping I do, and it just generally looks cool. Fancy pictures below.
    It’s divided opinion between people who think ‘that’s really cool’ and those who think ‘that’s totally stupid’, but hey, musos are a broad church and there’s space for all sorts.

Anyay, hello everyone, glad to finally be posting here and looking forward to getting involved in the TB community.

EABA9402-EEBE-4AC8-AEC0-A454186D0A18.
    My mainstay, the solid and dependable SR506.

A531A2E6-D118-42CD-B136-D19333358BB6.
    Something a bit sillier...

Oddly, Nashrakh and G-Z like this.
  2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hi there, welcome to the board!

I'm interested in your 8-string conversion. What did you do for it to take an extra string?

You'll find there's quite a lot of ERB players on the board. I just moved up to 6 strings, though I am interested in more. But the more strings you want, the harder it gets to acquire one, I guess...

Tekkers likes this.
  3. Tekkers

Tekkers

Dec 16, 2018
    GMT
    Yeah, part of my motivation in signing up was to join in with the ERB club thread and swap ideas and tips.

The conversion was relatively straightforward, I got a luthier to do it for me rather than trying it myself. The string spacing was just about wide enough that pushing the saddles into each other left room for the extra string. Bone nut added at the top, cut for eight strings and then machine heads moved slightly to allow another one to be dropped in.

The spacing is close at the nut, but still easily playable and it makes doublestops and three/four note chords easy. It’s fine at the body end, about 15mm spacing.
    It’s tuned in fourths from sub-contra F#-F, so two-high-two-low added to a conventional four string. I’ll probably never go all the way down on the F# but I can play everything on the sixth string at the fifth position now. And hey, options.

Nashrakh likes this.