Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another New Standard Disaster...

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by mchildree, Oct 10, 2004.

1. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Well, in 25+ years of steady gigging I've managed never to damage an instrument...until now. On Friday night, one of those really stupid things happened and here you see the result. Our guitarist and I have developed a habit whereby at a set's end, he'll hold my bass while I get my stand set up, with never an issue. This particular time, we didn't quite make the transfer and it fell face-first onto the stage.

Neck snapped off at the heel, back loose from the ribs in a couple of places, and the soundpost put a crack several inches long in the back (didn't fall, though). A couple of deep dings in the top. Wonderful. :bawl: The Wife, consumate partner that she is, was out the door and on the way to get my Azola before I even picked the Cleveland up.

Wish I had the $$ to ship it home to Arnold for repair, but as it stands, it'll be going up to Ronald Sachs in Atlanta on Monday.

[​IMG]

2. :meh:

Wow, can it be glued? Today's glues are pretty amazing, but I wonder if it would affect the tone of the bass?

:confused:

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Damn, dude. That really blows!

4. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    That really sucks man , always breaks my heart when i see something like this happening... i will never forget when i received my bass after moving house(and country) just to find that my bass was in pieces... move on bro', better be the bass than the bass player, easier to glue wood...
    1st Savino(if i remember correctly) and now you, did some jealous guy coursed the New Standards basses? I know it was not me...

NUNO

5. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    Dont Say That!!!!NO NO NO NO. My NS is fine.There is no curse. dont jinx it. it was my old juzek. Some people say I have bad luck. Sorry Mike. It breaks my heart to see a beautiful bass go down for the count, but I'm sure your luthier will fix it good as new. And yet another reminder to cherish your wooden ladies, (and wives, if you got em). Lets hope Arnold misses this thread. good luck.

6. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Jeezus... ow! Just goes to show... trust NO ONE with your babies! I get all jumpy even when my teacher holds the bass for me when I get something.

7. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Sorry Savino, my mistake, it was CB3000 who had an accident whith is NS :rolleyes:

NUNO

8. So sorry man.....My luthier friend Bob Ross and I have the answer to handing off a bass to another person. The person handing off the bass says" YOU GOT IT?"
    This is gauranteed to control any misunderstandings.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Mike - sorry to hear that. I get chills looking at pictures like that - I'll never forget the feeling that crept up the back of my neck when my original (old, now sold) Standard fell forward and cracked the top right at the soundpost. It was sickening. :bawl:

At any rate, good luck with the repair, and when you get it back, you can at least call the new fixes part of the bass' "Patina".

Yeah, I know that's no consolation, but...

10. I have done several of these repairs.First save all the pieces and to keep the break fresh and clean put it in the bag[At least the body] I did a simalar break for Marco Panasica's bass a couple years back after an airline's mishandling of his bass.The break was clean and dirt free ,so I was able to use fresh hide glue made a little stronger than I would make it for other types of repairs.When I do a nasty scroll break I use a boat epoxy called 'West System'
    Of course using epoxy is a big NO-No in the Luthier trade,but if I want the repair to be perminent,and it is used correctly, there is nothing better.Had great sucess on scoll breaks where other glues,pinning,etc. never hold.The key here is to use the correct glue for the correct application.If the area needs to be re-opened,use Hide Glue.
    In your case Mike get it to a good Luthier as soon as you can and you will be surprised how good it will turn out.

11. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    What's up with you guys breaking necks off your basses? I played professionally for almost 30 years and never even came close! Rant over...Mike, I feel for your loss. Sorry to disagree with Mark C., but repairing that type of break is rarely completely successful. If the bass is insured, it should get a new neck. Getting a Cleveland replacement neck should be do-able, though every neck joint is hand fit, and a replacement will also require a little fitting (and varnishing, of course). Long-term, the repair described won't work without some mechanical fastener(s) in the joint, and that is not the best thing for tone...

12. Arnold is indeed correct.I probably got lucky w.Marco's bass as I believe it is still holding to this day.I do use a very nice ol' Hartford deep throat clamp for neck breaks and other neck clamping issues.It really helps...
    Might be worth a try since the break is so fresh:the West would definatly hold, but again that Dam Epoxy.If you can replace the neck, that is the best choice.

13. Welcome to the club. Ive done this twice.It turned out that my old bass, which was the victim, had been improperly built, and the neck joint was too shallow, so it just came unglued twice. First time got reglued, second time, sold.

I never had a break like that.. that looks pretty serious.
    Best Wishes.

14. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    Sorry about your baby, Mike. Hope she's well soon!

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Mike, I'm cryin' inside for ya...good luck with the repair...

16. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Sorry, Mike -- hope she gets well soon. :(

17. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    The luthier in Atlanta thought it better to get a new neck and possibly a new back, so it's off to Arnold's. After a little thought, he's right...I'll feel a lot better about it afterwards, regardless of cost.

FYI for you Atlanta-area guys: If you need work, advice, or just wanna see a bunch of nice basses, Ronald Sachs Violins in Lilburn is a good place to visit. I got a very good feeling talking with him. I'll be going back when I need local luthier work.

18. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Ronald Sachs didn't feel that he could guarantee a repair on the crack since it's plywood and the crack is directly where the soundpost sits. Arnold wasn't fully convinced of that, though, so he'll take a look when he receives the bass.

19. The Saga continues huh? Again, best of luck. Of course with Arnold, there's not alotta luck involved!