Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another New Standard

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Humberto, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Humberto

Humberto Supporting Member

I've been laying low for a long time and playing a lot - trying to keep it to myself but I just can't anymore.

Yes, I too was smitten and have fallen in love again with the Bass - thanks to Arnold and Will.

I picked up this New Standard Cleveland Hybrid #192 in October and ain't let go of it since.

Plays like butter, lighter than air and talks in fat - moves a whole lot of air.

Anyway, I wouldn't normally be proud and all but I can't help it. These guys, Arnold Schnitzer and Will DeSola, are real artists.

Check out the finish. Sorry, gotta go play.

Attached Files:

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Looking Great, man! Enjoy it!

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    And even got a part of Arnold in the pic. Great looking bass!

4. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    Congrats. I love my hybrid Lascala
    and I still jones for a Cleveland too.

5. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    Beautiful Bass!! I saw that bass when I visited Arnold's place in early October. You are going to love it.

JK

6. I feel another NS lovefest coming on.

7. joe_sorren

joe_sorren

Apr 7, 2005
    arizona
    Congradulations Humberto!

Are you playing it with spiros? What type(s) of music will use play it with? How high are the strings set-up?

It is beautiful, thank you for the photos. If you record it, please share as well, ok?

8. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Look at that top varnish! Great job Ahnold, congrats Humberto.

9. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    That's juat about my favorite Varnish color.. Red, brown, gold.. all mixed up.. yummy..

10. Humberto,
    Aren't those guys something. Not only are their basses beautiful but how about that E string? Leaves you breathless doesn't it? Speaking of strings, what type are you using?
    Enjoy!
    Jim

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Maybe i'll get a chance to play one of those someday...Congrats !

12. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    All you have to do Donnie is hop in the car with me the next time I go up to Arnies'.

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

As long as i do not have to drive... the last time i drove to NY with you i nearly got a ticket for turning left on red...which as i recall you told me was ok ! :smug:

14. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Did you get the Ticket? Did you know that 99% of the cars they pulled over that day at that intersection got tickets? I wonder why we/you got away without one? Humm.. you think the Hat (ATF) on the dashboard helped or just your innocent face "he told me to turn' look made them let you go? Huh, huh, huh?

15. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Thanks, John. However, credit where credit is due: Wil deSola does all the varnish work. He's getting pretty good for his age.

16. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA

Does Will read TB? I wanna see the look on his face when he reads that!

17. Humberto

Humberto Supporting Member

Thanks to everyone who offered congrats, and thanks again to Arnold & Will for their work of art.

It's breaking in nicely and yes, I love the finish, but the sound is really something as all of you other New Standard owners already know.

I have it strung with obligatos for now, only because that's what I had grown accustomed to on my other bass - thinking of trying the dominants or spiros next string change.

I sold my strunal carved bass but I still have an old czech plywood I need to sell. It's posted over in trhe for sale section. Can I get some help?

Thanks again.