1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another New (to me) Roscoe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan L., Apr 15, 2006.

1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, the brown truck pulled up yesterday and delivered the Roscoe SKB3006 that I bought from BassmanBob. (who helped my wife get it shipped to me faster so I would have it by the weekend--pretty cool birthday present:) )

First of all, I couldn't even tell that this is a used bass. Bob has taken very good care of it. Pictures can't really do much justice to the topwood on it. In person, it looks absolutely beautiful. And the fretboard is simply unbelievable. This bass is definitely a looker.

Here's what it is:
    SKB3006
    Swamp ash body
    Box Elder Burl top
    spalted purpleheart fretboard
    Bart pups
    Demeter Preamp

I fell in love with it after playing it for about 5-10 minutes. It feels and plays about identical to my other Roscoe (can you say "consistency"? ;) )--the neck feels great, it has low action with absolutely no buzzing, and practically plays itself. I am terrible at describing tones, so I am not going to try. I think I am really going to like the Demeter pre in it, though. It has a bit more "openness" to it, especially in the highs. I haven't had it long enough to do a full comparison between the two basses, but I will update this thread once I have more of a chance. I won't get to gig it until next weekend, as we ended up cancelling tonight's gig.

Well, here's some pics of it, and my other Roscoe. I am a very happy guy.:D

100_0250.
    100_0247.
    100_0248.
    100_0249.
    100_0246.
    100_0245.
    100_0252.
    100_0253.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Those are a couple of fantastic-looking basses, Ryan. The fingerboards on both are insane. Congrats!

3. mahc

mahc

Nov 14, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    wow congrats. a very nice bass. fretboard is awesome

4. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    These basses are both tops in the looks department, to me anyway, as I happen to like "puke topped" basses, but where they both really shine through is in the playability and tone.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I really like that one, and the Demeter is the way to go :)

6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Those are two of the most beautiful finegerboards i've ever seen.

Congrats!

-Mark

7. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Nice! Glad to see that Bob's Roscoe ended up with a TB'er.

Shawn

8. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I had pretty much given up on it, since the wife wasn't too keen on me getting another so soon. But then my F Bass sold (back to who I bought it from), so I had the go ahead then.

And believe me, it was well worth the wait.

9. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, I have had a chance now to do a little more A/B'ing of the two, and there definitely are some differences in tones between the Demeter and Bart preamps, like everyone has said. I can't say that I like one better than the other, as I really like both. And I am guessing that the top woods might be a contributing factor in the overall tone of the basses as well. And I am not too sure if there is a major difference in the purpleheart and rosewood fretboards, but that could contribute as well.

One place where I can really see the Demeter equipped bass excelling is for slapping. It seems to have a bit more clarity, especially in the high end, than the Bart bass does. The highs just sing on the Demeter bass, where the highs on the Bart bass are a little more subdued. For fingerstyle grind and growl, though, the Bart system really shines through. Again, both basses sound fantastic, there are just some subtle differences between the two.

I had thought about buying a set of Nordstrand Dual Coils for the new one, but right now, I think I am going to hold off for awhile. This bass sounds so good as is, I might just leave it alone.

10. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Hey Ryan. I'm glad you're enjoying it as much as I did. I did try to keep it in good condition, wiping it down after playing it and such. I don't do too much slapping, so there isn't that much fret damage too.

You've got a nice looking pair.

Now I have to get another 5 string so I have my pair. I'll be ordering mine by mid week.

11. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Quite a pair you have there!

12. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I seriously couldn't be happier with it. I will be taking it to a rehearsal this afternoon, so it'll get some workout in a band setting today.

13. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Congratulations Ryan! You've definitely got a pallet of sounds covered now.

Two classy looking basses!:)

14. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Between the two of them, I am able to cover a lot of ground, tone-wise. I am extremely happy with both of them.

15. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I say the following without a hint of double entendre...
    NICE ONES!!!!!!!!

16. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    Ryan,
    The only acceptable excuses for you to part with such incredible instruments is that you lost a leg in a car accident and have to pay off your medical bills....or a tornado took your roof off and you have to pay for a new one.

No - paying for your kids' college is NOT an acceptable excuse! ;)

Congrats man! They are gorgeous!

17. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Oh, believe me, they are not going to go anywhere for a long, long time.