1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

another newbie here

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by lowEndRick, Apr 8, 2006.

1. lowEndRick

lowEndRick Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    I posted this on this intro forum, but decided to copy it over here too. I've been a guitar player for 30+ years, a dobro player for about 2, BUT Bass has been in and out of my life for years like an on again off again relationship.

Recently I discovered, based on feedback from fellow players, that I do a fairly good job of holding down the low end in our bluegrass jams with a BG. I keep it real simple focusing on the I and V with an occasional walk-up. Good timing is more important to me than anything.

I also had the chance to play upright recently and now I'm really G.A.S.ing for an upright. I have my eye on an Engelhardt EM-1 right now.

Aside from finding a good teacher, can anyone recommend any videos. How does the Schatz video compare to the Phillips video for what I'm looking to do (bluegrass)?

Looking forward to learning from all of you.

rick

2. lowEndRick

lowEndRick Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    ok, just realized the newbie threads give some info on this.

sorry to add to the "I'm a newbie and I have a question thats been asked 3 gazillion times" list