Another nightmare Airline Story - Avoid Delta

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Jason Sypher, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    I usually fly KLM to Amsterdam from NY. It's non-stop, the airline is efficient and they always let me take my bass on the flight. Once I had to pay $200 but that was the worst of it. I've flown with it about 10 times. When I booked my ticket with KLM this time they issued me a KLM ticket "in partnership with Delta Airlines". Now, I have flown Delta before and found it to be quite lacking so I was wary but I figured since it's KLM I should have no problem. I put aside $300 just in case I ran into any fees. The website had a section on oversized luggage and a rather confusing table on fees based on how many extra bags you check. I never check anything so I just had the one bass. I notified the airline of "special baggage/oversized" online when I checked in and arrived 3 and a half hours early at the desk. The agents couldn't be more confused when I arrived with my case. The went back and forth for about a half hour and then came out and asked me what it weighed. I said I thought it was under 100 lbs and then they asked me to weigh it. This, was a first. I squinted at the scale nervously as I put it up on the platform....117lbs. The agent went away for another few minutes and returned telling me the charge would be $495. I gasped and said "well, I have never ever had to pay anything like that before". The agent disappeared and then reappeared with another guy who said I can't take it on the plane, at all! I asked if I could talk to someone about it and they said I had to call Delta. I called and got stuck on the phone three different times with different agents and the best I could do was a new flight, the next day, without the bass for an additional $250 "change fee". So there I was, at the airport, my car long gone with the friend who drove me, with my huge bass and all my stuff and nothing to do but pay $75 for a car service home. Thank you Delta. There was a baggage guy out front for Delta who kept saying "that's ridiculous, I work the ramp all the time we never weigh anything, we get these all the time. You should call them and tell them you have to get on the flight".....

2. doberman

doberman

Sep 16, 2009
    Maryland
    Really too bad to hear that...I haven't had good luck with delta in general (no bass) but this is just ridiculous. Thanks for the heads up, I am flying to Amsterdam in a matter of months and will definitely not use anything in partnership with delta. The worst part is that they told you that you could bring it on (for $495!) and then come back and say that you can't at all. That makes no sense...

3. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    American airlines are charging for absolutely everything they can. They always claim to need the money, but I never hear about the top executives taking a pay cut.

4. Illfavor

Illfavor

Mar 9, 2005
    DFW
    In all fairness, Delta has its policies clearly posted and it isn't too much effort to contact them in advance for clarification. If you're flying on an American airline you always need to know the weight and measurements of your instrument, and if you're checking the instrument be prepared to pay at least $300-500 for it. Even though airlines have policies about it, if the bass is oversized then you have to pay outrageous amounts of money for it. :/ This is why I now borrow instruments :(

5. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Yeah, sort of... In all fairness, Delta is about as consistent with following their own policies as they are getting flights out of ATL on-time!

I've literally been allowed to carry a bass on during the outbound flight, and then been denied even the option of gate-checking during the return flight 8 hours later. :scowl: Delta, as I've mentioned in related threads, is one of the worst US domestic Airlines for musicians to deal with!

FYI, I'm no amateur when it comes to air travel with an electric bass, either. I've been travelling upwards of 150+ flights a year, on average, over the past 10 years. In over 20 countries on 3 continents. If I have a choice here in the 'States, I avoid Delta at all costs!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021