1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another Noisy Output Jack

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gimp, Oct 21, 2013.

1. gimp

gimp

Jan 13, 2011
    Catonsville, MD
    I picked up a new-to-me Jazz bass the other day, but the output is very noisy, just about regardless of the position of the cable. The only thing that makes it stop is pushing in the cable (it will move in a few more mm's from the "plugged in" position), but that isn't practical.

Replace? Clean (with what)? Not the jack at all?

Thanks! I know this is asked a lot, but I'm having a hard time with the search.

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Remove the chrome control panel from the bass. Make sure the jack is screwed down tightly and doesn't rotate. The best tool to tighten it is a nutdriver or socket wrench - most are 7/16" or 1/2" size. The "hot" contact on the output jack is a piece of flat metal bent into a "J" shape. You can try cleaning the contact with mild abrasive like a pencil eraser or fine sandpaper. You only need to clean it where the jack makes contact. If the contact doesn't seem to be applying enough pressure to the jack, you can gently bend it inward.

If this doesn't fix it it is a cheap and simple job to replace the output jack.

3. gimp

gimp

Jan 13, 2011
    Catonsville, MD
    Thanks! I've pulled the plate and everything is tight, and I even bent the jack inward slightly, but no improvement. I'll try to clean it with some fine sandpaper I have when I get home.

Thanks!

4. gimp

gimp

Jan 13, 2011
    Catonsville, MD
    Just wanted to say thanks again. I took a moment and cleaned up the contact points with some fine sandpaper - they were super dirty! Bass sounds great now.