1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another of our cats dead - POISON?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    This is now the second one in a month. First, our 13 year old Briitsh Shorthair Shadow got suddenly very ill in October. She started vomiting and losing weight, so we brought her to the vet where they indicated a liver problem. While we were putting aside some money for more tests, she disappeared and has not returned :crying:

On Thanksgiving morning, our 8 year old calico Nellie suddenly started vomiting. She was sleeping in the living room when we left to go to a friends house for dinner. When I and my son got home about 5 hours later, she was dead in the same spot. :crying:

We were telling this story to our next door neighbor, who let it slip that they use rat poison at their "other" house because they dont want to find the mice in the glue traps :eek: :eyebrow: Seeing as we found several dead mice in our front yard....smoking gun? :mad: We have 2 younger cats that we are trying to keep indoors at all costs but it is losing battle

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would say that that would do exactly that to the cats. I never use chemicals that could harm my cats. I use those plastic traps that get the mouse, and are easy to unload.

Also keep an eye out for car anti-freeze. The glycol is poisonous, but it tastes sweet to them.

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    If your cats wander to your neighbor's yards and crap all over it, then they deserve it.

Scratch that, YOU deserve it. The cats are animals, after all.

My neighbors can't seem to keep their cats on their property. It's ruining OUR property. Poison sounds like a good idea, but I don't to torture the things. I'd rather just off them quickly so they stop bugging me. Ask your neighbor if he has any better ideas.

This is assuming they did that, of course. If they were well behaved, then the neighbor needs a taste of his own medicine. Killing animals "just because" is a no-no.

5. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Sorry to hear about your cats. :(

I don't think the neighbors intended to poison the cats, if that was the case. The mice probably took the poison bait, and the cats ate the mice with the poison inside them.

6. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Errr...I would suggest deliberately killing your neighbor's pets even if they deserve it is a no-no as well.

7. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    One of my work buddies found his dog eating D-Con last week. He made it throw up and fed it charcoal to soak up the poison. The antidote is vitamin K, so he fed it some of that too...the poison in D-Con is basically a blood thinner. Anyway, his dog is alive and well.

I was surprised to find out that rat poisons like D-Con contain Warfarin, which is what they put in blood-thinning drugs for humans!

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Sorry for your loss.... but that is the exact reason my cats are indoor only.

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

:eek:

10. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Let me get this straight. Your neighbor decided to poison them because they didn't want to offend their delicate sensibilities by using glue traps where they would actually have to see the fruits of their labor?
    Your poor cats. I think you should talk to your neighbors about changing their methods. I wish you could up and beat the crap out of them, but they probably didn't really think that other animals might eat the mice/rats they poisoned and thus get poisoned themselves.
    Do you neightbors complain about your cats wandering ways?

Poop-Loops.

That was cold blooded about the cats deserving to die if they were marauding on the neighbors property. You can't keep tabs on an outdoor cat 24/7. I think that if the cat is causing damage, you should provide reparation and authorize the neightbor using a non lethal method to keep the cat away, but killing it? Poisoning it? Cruel and cold.

11. It could be Feline Distemper or another cat disease. One of the neighborhood cats that I was about to take to the vet to get fixed got it and died within a matter of matter of days, it seemed. The tests indicated Feline Distemper. The good news is that the mother and his brother and sister were fine (I was able to get them a vaccine the prior week so perhaps that's what saved them). I took in the brother and sister. They're great cats.

That's not to say that poison wasn't the problem. Have your cats been vaccinated for FVRCP (Feline Distemper/Feline panleukopenia)?

- Dave

12. Neb Maro

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Tried keeping my cat indoors. She just ripped out the screens. Lucky for us, we have tolerant neighbors because she has gotten into their house a time or two. I think she'd die of a broken heart if she were confined inside 24/7.

How do you keep your cats content?

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I don't think it would work like that.

The most common rat poison is Warfarin, which is the same as the medication Coumadin. In therapeutic dosages, it slows clotting to prevent a common form of stroke or heart attack. Unfortunately, many people refuse to take it once they learn that their medication is, essentially rat poison.

Rat poison is just a huge overdose of Coumadin. When there is enough in the animals system, it will start bleeding spontaeously. The loss of blood volume is what kills the animal. Most of the blood is lost into the digestive tract, so while the animal will vomit quite a bit towards the end, it won't look like like vomit, so much as blood. And they'll be losing blood from the other end as well. It's messy. It's gross. And you don't want to have to clean up after it. But it doesn't pass along to an animal that eats the poisoned one. The Warfarin is metabolised in the liver and excreted through the kidneys. It doesn't just sit around in the entire body building up to levels that would make the meat of the carcass poisonous.

edit: Man this took a long time to type.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive heard that one of the ingredients in the "Swifter" spray style floor cleaners is actually poisonous and responsible for several pet deaths.

It could be an urban legend but its worth looking into it if you use similar products.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    they have their own room (always open with 2 doorways) with many shelves and climbing areas. I have scratching posts and climbing trees in my livingroom as well. We play with them often (remote control mouse and laser beams are the favorite it seems).

16. Neb Maro

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    I might need to follow that idea.
    My cat has also been called a bit of a bully so hmm...if the neighbors start taking offense to her presence, then I guess I must relegate her to the jailhouse.

I bet it helps having more than one. She just has the dog and though she plays with him some, she prefers to wander.

17. Neb Maro

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Back to the orginal intent of the thread.

18. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    So the concept of sin applies to cats now?

And so are we all. I don't think cats understand the law of trespass.

See above comment.

You seem to be saying that the cats deserve to die if they don't understand and respect our property laws, but if they do then they're okay. Interesting philosophy.

19. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Yeah, maybe that's why outdoor cats make crappy pets? I don't raise a lion, and when it eats someone exclaim "lol it's a lion! what am I supposed to do?"

Neighbor doesn't care.

No. I'm saying I want them to stop. I acknowledge that killing them is cruel and would rather punish the owners, but that doesn't work either.

I don't like hurting animals, but I also don't like getting my property ruined.

20. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio

Yeah, that's a BS claim. Look it up on snopes. PS, it is spelled swiffer, no "t".

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.