Another ohm question... will my amp survive?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lildrgn, Jun 22, 2001.

1. lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Hey all

I have a Trace GP12 head running a Trace 4x10 and a SWR Bigfoot2 (2x12+tweeter). On the back of the head there are two speaker outputs that are labeled "4ohm minimum". I plug the 4x10 (8ohm) into one and the 2x12 (4ohm) into the other. So far everything sounds great. I've been doing it about a week and no problems yet. But my questions are:

1. Will there be any problems down the road or is the head designed to handle a situation like this?

2. Is my setup ok and just not optimal?

I gots to know!

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    In fact you are soon going to blow it.
    Unless it is a Stereo Amp, both jacks are going to the same source in parallel
    So you are mismatching the impedances.

This is happening:
    8 + 4 in Parallel is like this: 1/8 + 1/4 = 3/8 Invert that and you get 2.66¨¨ Ohms, with is lower than you amps minimum load.

It must be running very hot by now.. but It may soon get fried.
  3. caveman

Nov 19, 2000
    Listen to LF.

You will FRY your amp - pronto - if you
    continue using a less than the 4 ohm load min.
  4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    you like the bigfoot? ive been searching for one, cos i like them
  5. lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the advice. I will stop doing what I'm doing. I chatted with Larry at BNW and he told me the same thing. I may look to replace the Bigfoot because it is the 4ohm box and get a Bag End 15 instead (gotta hear it first!).

LW: I've had the Bigfoot for years and I used to like it fine, but recently, when playing it solo, it just doesn't give me the range I'm looking for. It's a bit to bottomy by itself.