another ohm question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by the beginner, Feb 21, 2005.

1. the beginner

the beginner

Feb 18, 2005
    ok i had recently asked about the relation between amp and cab ohms, i kinda understand the ohm thing a little better, i know if the head is 4 ohms and the cab is 4 ohms i can't add a cab, but what if the cab has it's own "lineout"? can i add another 4 ohm (or 8 or whatever) cab through there with the one 4 ohm head? thanx for your reply
  2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

No, the line out is at a level that will drive another power amp, or other devices that need that level, which is much lower than what a apeaker needs. So, if you get another power amp, or a powered speaker, you can drive a cab off that output, but you can't do it with a non-powered speaker directly. OK?
  3. Marshes

Sep 20, 2004
    You are talking about the Line out on the back of a preamp maybe?

I belive he is talking about the Link plug on the back of the cabinet. This you CAN connect to another speaker cabinet, however if you connect it to another 4 ohm cabinet, you will have a !2! ohm load, which, if your power amp can't handle, you will dp damage to your amplifier. You would need another 16 ohm cabinet to link upto your original cabinet to have a safe 4 ohm load.
  4. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    No, that extra jack on the cab is exactly the same as the extra jack on the back of the amp. Everything, unless you get something custom made (which IS available) is in paralell.

If you plug another 4ohm cab into the amp or the cab you will still lower your impedence to 2 ohms.

You CAN hook up two 8ohm cabs together either out both jacks on your amp or through one jack on the amp and one jack on the speaker. That will bring you down to 4ohms either way. can try going from your 'line out' on your amp (it is signal level, not power level) into another power amp and into another cab.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Yeah, my bad; poor reading comprehension coupled with tunnel vision, I guess.. :meh: I've never seen an unpowered speaker cab with a jack labeled "line out", and nobody said anything about "link" until you brought it up. In any case, none of the laws of physics have been repealed recently, AFAIK. :crying:
  6. the beginner

the beginner

Feb 18, 2005
    yeah that's what i meant, ok, so it's a link. well now i know (guess i call every jack a line out) well thanx, question answered. but could the additional power amp thing be explained to me as if i were a complete idiot? :) (you wont need that much imagination)

i appreciate it a lot, thanx guys
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    simple. your amp head is a preamp and a poweramp in one box. the preamp amplifies the low level signal coming out of your bass to a line level signal suitable to drive a power amp's input. the power amp amplifies a line level signal to a speaker level signal capable of driving speakers. lots of amps have a line out or preamp out jack which sends an additional signal from the internal preamp so you can plug it into the input of a stand alone poweramp. many amps have an effects send jack which is usually post eq but pre master volume from the preamp which can also be used as a preamp/line out. (the effects send and effects return jacks are part of an effects loop used for rackmount effects which work better with a line level signal than they do with a low level signal)

standalone poweramps are typically 2 channel "stereo" units and are all purpose, usually used for pa applications, but lots of bass players use them as well.