another ohm question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sixstringbass, Jan 7, 2006.

1. I read the sticky and still didnt get it. i have 2 gk cabs each 8 ohms together being 600 watts and 8ohms so what head has enough watts to power this enough because all my bass head says is 130 watts @ 40hms but nothing with 8 0hms but i only use it alone witht the4x10? sorry for my stupidity but i just dont get it. :crying:

2. Okay - your head is 130watts at 4ohms, is that right?
    Using your head for an 8ohm load would most probably be okay, you'd just get a lot less volume out of it, and hit that clipping a helluva lot sooner.
    But a 2ohm load would kill your amp. Never use a lower impedance than your amp can handle.

Now the GK cabs - they are both 8 ohms?
    Are you able to plug them both into the amp? If yes for both of these Q's, the output circuit of most amps will have the two outputs wired in parallel - so this config will give you your 4 ohm load. If you only have one output - you'll have to mod one of your cabs to effectively "piggy-back" the other to give you your parallel connection.

hope it helps
  3. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    'each 8 ohms together' is a bit confusing- each is an 8 ohm load (likely), or together they present an 8 ohm load (meaning they are either 16 ohm cabs in parallel (more likely) or 4 ohm cabs in series (less likely).

I imagine what you mean is you have (2) 8 ohm cabinets that you want to use together (driven from a single amplifier) wired 'the usual way (which is in parallel) and so the combination will present a 4 ohm load to your amp.

Your amp is capable of driving a 4 ohm load; good, you are not likely to damage you amp by driving a load it can't handle.

Uhhh... you can send as much power as you want, until the speakers catch fire (that would be too much. You can send them less by turning down the volume and that is good too. You can also damage the cabinets by sending them distorted signals when you are expecting a tiny amp to do a big job, but you don't have to do that; the knobs work both ways.

Use the search feature on 'underpowered' it's quite a complex subject.
  4. Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    A couple of things to keep in mind on this subject so it makes a little more sense. First, the power rating of your amp tells you how much power it can provide (to a cab); the power rating on your cabs tells you how much power they can handle (from your amp) without being damaged. You don't need a certain amount of power from your amp to drive any speaker cab but, the more power your amp can provide, the louder you're going to be.
  5. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    They have SWR WorkingPro 700 watt amps on Ebay for $600 - $800 and are worth it. You will be able to power your cabinets with room left over.

Or get any amp you can afford which will be able to do the following:
    z/2 @ 8 ohms
    z @ 4 ohms

where z is equal to or greater than that 600+ watts your cabinets need.

its what you need to do...
  6. Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Are you sayng that because his cabs are rated at 600+ watts that he needs an amp capable of delivering 600 or more watts? If so, that's bad advice since a cab's power rating is not telling you what the cab "needs" - it's telling you how much power it can take from an amp before damage can occur.

There are a lot of reasons someone may want a more powerful amp but it's misleading to say that one needs to match the power rating of their amp to that of their cab(s).