Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another ohms question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bluefishgd, Sep 1, 2003.

1. bluefishgd

bluefishgd

Oct 26, 2002
    Rhode Island
    ok, let's say i have a firebass that can push
    700w@2ohms
    500w@4ohms
    275w@8ohms
    if i have a 2x10 cab that is 8 ohms, and i wanna add another 8 ohm cab, it obviously makes a 4 ohm load. But what would happen if i added a 4 ohm cab to the 8 ohm cab...would it run at 6 ohms???

2. Nope, the result would be 2.67 ohms. Mathematically, take the reciprocal of 4 ohms: 1/4, which equals .25 then find the reciprocal of 8 which would be .125 add the two together for a total of .375 then take the inverse of that which gives you 2.67 ohms.....Easy huh?

Or think of it this way: the 4 ohm cab probably has two 8 ohm speakers in parallel, add a third 8 ohm speaker in parallel so now you have 8 ohms divided by 3 which equals the aforementioned 2.67 ohms.

BTW you don't want to do this in practice for two reasons: first, the load on your amp is too low, and also the power is unbalanced across the speaker cabs. The 4 ohm cab will see almost all the power, the 8 virtually nothing.

3. The calculation is 1/Total resistance= (1/R1)+(1/R2). However it wouldnt be a good thing to mix these cabs due to different sound levels unless you had a stereo power amp.