Another one bites the dust

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by bass_extremes, Aug 5, 2005.

1. bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Hey fellow bassplayers when you guys play another one bites the dust do you tune a 1/2 step up? I have the bass tab white pages it says the recording sounds a half step up. but it kinda sounds funny to me anyone know what the right tunning is?
  2. Hmm, it sounds good in E. I've never actually learned the song but I can basically play it by ear, and I just leave it in standard tuning. I think the tabber may be alluding to the recording's sharp feel. Many old recordings ended up flat somehow or another due to the recording process... I can only imagine the opposite may have happened. However I don't think it's a half step up.
  3. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    Back in the days of analog tape it was common practice to speed the tape up to make it sound brighter, or maybe the make the tempo a little more snappy. Or they would slow it down to make it easier for the singer to hit the high notes, then speed it back up again...ever hear Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy album? :D

I don't see any reason to re-tune your bass just to play this song. Play it in E, or play it in F. It's probably better in E, so you can do the whole main riff on the E string. Your audience is not going to notice.

Unless you're just talking about playing along with the CD, in which case, re-tune I guess...
  4. bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Thanks for the info guys